Photo printing colors

LazyHeat

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro10 Pro100, HPDJ500
Hi, I'm trying to help a family member with their epson 3760. The strange issue is when they print on photo paper and choose paper type as photo paper, there is a slight blueish tint to the photo printouts. But if they choose plain paper as paper type even though they are using photo paper, the colors come out fine and the prints turn out good. Not sure why choosing photo paper in the paper type settings causes the print colors to be slightly off compared to plain paper.
That printer uses a matte black ink on plain paper, plus the 3 other colors to render all of colors that it is capable of. When it is set to photo paper, it will not use the black ink at all, only the C, M, and Y to recreate a version of black.

This is because the black pigment ink just lays on top of the photo paper media while the three dye inks soak into it, which is not ideal unless you are printing throwaway prints. The machine is expecting an Epson photo paper, but some other brand is being used which has a different color profile.

The solution is to buy Epson photo paper, or find (or build) an ICC profile for the paper you want to use. It is likely one does not exist for your printer / paper combination, though, and the tools to create an ICC profile cost much more than that printer. Best solution: use the correct photo paper by Epson, or buy sample packs and see which is the most compatible. Ideally, buy a real photo printer with at least 6 different inks in the inkset.

crgrove

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10, Epson XP-960
Hi, I'm trying to help a family member with their epson 3760. The strange issue is when they print on photo paper and choose paper type as photo paper, there is a slight blueish tint to the photo printouts. But if they choose plain paper as paper type even though they are using photo paper, the colors come out fine and the prints turn out good. Not sure why choosing photo paper in the paper type settings causes the print colors to be slightly off compared to plain paper.
hmmmm... Because it seems to print correctly when the printer THINKS it is printing on PLAIN paper, BUT NOT when printing a photo on photo paper, this SOOOUUUUNDS like it could be a "Double Colour Management" issue. Do you have an Epson Printer Driver selected to manage colours in "Printers" but your photo editing software selected to manage colours WITHIN the editing software itself? I've never personally had to deal with this issue but you MAY wish to read this description.
As far as I recall it is particularly bothersome with Epson printers/drivers.
Forgive me, I don't know the details of all of the settings because I've never dealt with it myself and my main photo printer is a Canon.

https://www.johnpaulcaponigro.com/blog/4820/how-to-avoid-double-color-management-epson-printers/

Cheers! And good luck!