Photo printer for grandkids - suggestions??

George in Georgia

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 100, Epson R1800
Last Christmas we gave our granddaughters, Audrey (9 yrs old) and Sofia (11yrs old) each a Kodak PIXPRO FZ 43 camera, one in black one in red, plus a AA charger, many NiCad cells, a lens cleaning pen, and 2 pouches to carry the cameras. The kids have really enjoyed the cameras, and have taken many good shots. They are using PhotoShop or Elements for some creative manipulation. We've been pleased with the care they've taken with the cameras.
We think that a printer might be in order. I use a Canon Pixma Pro 100, but that might be overkill for the kids, both in price and size. I think something which would print up to 8 x 10 photo quality - of course! - and moderate operating cost would be in order. (All too often the cost of carts soon exceeds the printer cost!)
Any thoughts out there??

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Any thoughts out there??
Yes, and that’s perfectly simple, you have mentioned how good and caring they both are, so why not get them a Pro 100.

It’s the best and cheapest inkjet printer out there and they would be trilled to know they have the same printer as Auld Grandpa, the only down side is you’ll have to share your spare carts with them, these two little treasures sound like they have the heads screwed on and deserve quality..

A long time a go I refused to get a Feckin Nintendo for my kids to just waste their time playing games on, so I got them a Wang 386 computer instead and now they are both working in the computer industry..

Sometimes you have to go that extra mile... Because there're worth it..:hugs

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Yes, and that’s perfectly simple, you have mentioned how good and caring they both are, so why not get them a Pro 100.

It’s the best and cheapest inkjet printer out there and they would be trilled to know they have the same printer as Auld Grandpa, the only down side is you’ll have to share your spare carts with them, these two little treasures sound like they have the heads screwed on and deserve quality..

A long time a go I refused to get a Feckin Nintendo for my kids to just waste their time playing games on, so I got them a Wang 386 computer instead and now they are both working in the computer industry..

Sometimes you have to go that extra mile... Because there're worth it..:hugs

Hat is totally on the money. The Pro-100 is being sold for a pittance and actually some folks wonder about whether they are decent printers or not. Well I am going to comment further. In my opinion, they more than hold their own. In terms of image quality and the potential of the printer, they are a gift from Canon. Newbies can begin learning the art of printing on this caliber of machine and then move up to being a master. Even when they reach that elevated stage, it would still remain a viable and favorite tool.

If you can imagine a lens that is inexpensive, sharp as heck, little distortion, fast, captures lots of light and everyone can afford. Then it becomes the go to lens today and for tomorrow. Everybody would want it today and continue to use it in the future. What's there not to like? It is not waterproof. Therein is the rub.....The Pro-100 is a dye ink printer. The pigment ink printer that is archival is akin to the Pro-100 not being archival and the lens not being waterproof. But you know what? Most times do you need a waterproof lens?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I’ll have to put @mikling on my Easter Egg list....:hugs
Beware, mikling, beware!

tenor.gif

shpitz461

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100
If quality is not top priority and you'd like something in a smaller footprint, an Epson PictureMate might do the trick. Can find some cheap ones on eBay. Canon has a similar 'personal' photo printer as well IIRC.

I've used one in the past and it was easy to use, has a single ink cartridge that is easy to replace as well.