pharmacist's formula ..

Geoff69

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Hi Guys,
I have obtained the chemicals to make Pharmacists formula for cart flushing..

Isopropyl Alcohol 100%
Propylene Glycol

I want to make 1 liter with distilled water, whats the exact amount i have to add of the Alcohol
and Glycol, bearing in mind the strengths ?

Also i read somewhere that Ammonia is great for cleaning carts.. again what amount do i add
per liter of water, the Ammonia is 35% ?

20161012_141805[1].jpg

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Pharmacist's conditioning fluid for ink cartridge conditioning is:

-3 % propylene glycol
-20 % isopropyl alcohol
-distilled water up to 100 %

By adding 1 % of concentrated ammonia you get pharmacist's cleaning solution for printheads:

-1 % concentrated ammonia
-3 % propylene glycol
-20 % isopropyl alcohol
-distilled water up to 100 %

To prepare 1 litre of the conditioning fluid:
In a one litre bottle put 30 ml of propylene glycol, 200 ml of isopropyl alcohol, and add distilled/demineralized water to a total volume of one litre.

To prepare 1 litre of the cleaning fluid:
In a one litre bottle put 10 ml of concentrated ammonia, 30 ml of propylene glycol, 200 ml of isopropyl alcohol, and add distilled/demineralized water to a total volume of one litre.

Your ammonia solution is 33-34% meaning it is concentrated, so only 1% or 10 ml for a total volume of one litre should be used. The isopropyl alcohol and the propylene glycol are also pure or close to 100 %, so 30ml and 200 ml should be used in preparing one litre of the solutions. If the chemicals were not concentrated or pure, higher volumes would be needed to compensate for the lower strength.

It is perfectly normal for the solutions get slightly warm when mixed. It is a natural reaction when diluting a concentrated alcohol with water.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Geoff,

PeterBJ has mentioned the right formula. And besides: you have highest possible quality (Pharmaceutical grade), so you won't have any problems with clogging. But take care you mix using dust free containers, so everything stay as clean and dust free as possible. Note: propylene glycol is safe and potable and tastes very sweet. Not be be confused with the poisonous ethylene(di)glycol, which is very dangerous and we wish not to use at all.

Geoff69

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Great Peter your details are exactly what i wanted many thanks, and you Pharmacist for this formula..

For flushing the carts, do i just flush with water then use the 'formula' for the last flush out ?

For anyone mixing this with the concentrated Ammonia, be carefull its powerfull stuff, it knocked my block off just opening the cap!!:ep take it outside or you'll gas the wife !:celebrate

Michael Messner3

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 9880
I had a file of squiggly lines tp print. This was supposed to help clear blocked nozzles. I lost that cleaning file. Any idea where I can find it?