PGI72 Cartridge LED won't light up

Ketil Wright

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1000
Hello

I have a pixma pro 10 printer, which I have used sporadically for at least 5 years. I have used Precision Colors since almost day 1. Today, the grey cartridge LED does not light up. This printer was working fine until I removed all cartridges and the printhead for cleaning and flushing, with windex and then multiple applications of distilled water. It was then left to dry here in arid California for almost 3 days, prior to filling the carts with Precision Colors Signature Edition ink (I finally used up all of my supply of the previous version of PC inks)

When I replaced the printhead & cartridges in the printer, I found that the gray LED did not turn on. I then noticed that if I put the gray cart in by itself, its LED does illuminate. But then, inserting the MBK cart causes the Gray LED to go out. In this state the amber LED on the front of the printer flashes 4x, indicating "The ink tank is not installed". The printer's control panel supply levels dialog says "Information not available".

I also had a brand new printhead & opened that up to see if perhaps I damaged the older one (which has worked great for years), although the electrical interface to the cartridges isn't actually on the print head. Same problem here.

Since I have a 2nd set of cartridges (which I bought used, and never actually), I gave those a try. Same problem.

In fact, it appears that if I insert the grey cartridge, and then start inserting carts from left to right (PM, PC, Y...), all is well until I get to the MBK (adjacent to gray).

I have cleaned all contacts on cartridges, and those four long ones for each color on the print head carriage.

Any thoughts on if and how to proceed are appreciated.

Thanks

Ketil

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Since I have a 2nd set of cartridges (which I bought used, and never actually), I gave those a try. Same problem.
Does this mean you never used this second set of cartridges? If never used by you then it could be the second Grey cartridge that is is bad, too. A possibility though a very long shot.

Did you reset the second Grey Cartridge before inserting in the printer???

all is well until I get to the MBK (adjacent to gray).
What specifically happens then?

Sounds to me that the Grey cartridge either needs a reset of the chip or the chip itself has malfunctioned.

I would have tried my second Grey cartridge as you did, regardless of ever using it in the past, plus or minus resetting it with your chip resetter (then a refill) if you never did this with the second set cartridges. Then I would have bought a new Grey cartridge as the likelihood of a new chip malfunction is quite low (I've had it happen!).

If the new Grey cartridge worked then either the chips on your Grey cartridges are bad OR your resetter may need a new battery(s) or is itself malfunctioning.

If none of the above worked then I would consider installing the new print head.

Ketil Wright

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1000
Hi Stratman

Thanks for your time. A couple of points, some new, and some I should have made originally.

>> Does this mean you never used this second set of cartridges?

Correct. They arrived years ago caked in dried ink. A month or so ago, I was able to extract that with windex (soaked overnight), followed by multiple injections/extractions of distilled water using a 20 ml syringe poked through the orange case. Those then sat idle for a month to dry. They were a bit troublesome to refill, but they reset just fine, and all LEDs (save gray) illuminate when inserted.

I did put in a new printhead, it's in there now, and was at the time of my original post.

>> What specifically happens then
When I insert the adjacent MBK cart, the gray cart's LED goes out.

BTW, I did reset all cartridges. That proceeded as usual: a brief flash on the cart's LED, followed by a longer one, after which I disengage the resetter. BTW, my resetter is usb powered, and has no battery as far as I know. I bought that from Precision Colors years ago.

Since my original post, I noticed that if I lean a bit on the grey cart, it will illuminate briefly. Hardly a solution, but interesting.

New info:

If I put the grey cart into an incorrect slot, say PBK or MBK, its LED illuminates (it seems it should complain, but maybe that becomes known through a control panel or something). The reverse is not true (putting PBK or MBK does not illuminate when placed in the grey slot).

I think all this proves the problem is in the printer itself, not either of my grey cartridges, nor either printhead. Let me know if you disagree.

Thanks again

Ketil

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Just curious, have you also tried using a different MBK cartridge with both the original and second refilled and reset cartridges?

Since my original post, I noticed that if I lean a bit on the grey cart, it will illuminate briefly. Hardly a solution, but interesting.
Interesting. I would not expect a new, never used, sealed in foil print head - your second one - to have an issue like this. Is there something preventing both proper print head placement in the carriage And good electrical contact (Oxidation, ink???)?

Is your print head properly inserted in the carriage and locked down?

In general, there are several points of concern that may or may not be involved.
  1. The cartridge. A proper functioning chip has already been discussed. Additionally there is the electrical contact between the cartridge and the print head.
  2. The print head. There are electrical contacts inside the print head for connecting with the cartridge's electrical contacts. There are also electrical contacts outside the print head that make the connection with the printer carriage. There are also internal guts of the print head that can lead to an irreparable electronic failure of any or all ink colors..
  3. The printer also has electrical contacts in the carriage - the part that the print head slips into. Additionally, there is a logic assay board in the printer that can have an irreparable electronic failure independent or in concert with a print head failure.
  4. To top it all off, there is the very rare occurrence of an electronic failure in the print head propagating to the logic assay board or vice versa. There have been exceedingly rare anecdotal reports of an electronic failure in the logic assay board being propagated to a NEW, ie second, print head inserted into the printer. However, typically, at least from experience on the forum, a new print head usually cures all ink ails.
If the ONLY misbehaving blinking red light on a cartridge is the Grey cartridge, then I would suggest you obtain a new, never opened Grey cartridge. It can be an aftermarket. The idea here is to take out of the equation that your refilled Grey cartridges are the source of the problem as best as possible.

Latest posts