PGI5-BK not printing from MP830 - 'new' print head fitted

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I've got an MP830
The print head went
I got a faulty MP830 off eBay and swapped print heads
(Which I'm going to try and make some money by selling the parts for!)

Small problem: the PGI5-BK doesn't print :(
I now remember that I had the same problem before the original print head died on me

I've replaced with a new PGI5-BK (compatible)
Still same problem

What does this mean?
Could there be a problem with the printer itself somewhere - it isn't sucking in ink through the cartridge?

+ Could this be why my original print head went faulty? Because it got fried while trying to have ink sucked through it and not getting anything?

Thanks

Omar

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Have you checked to make sure the purge system is working? There are separate systems for the PGI-5Bk and for all the other CLI-8 cartridges so it is possible that it is working for the dye inks but not for the pigment ink.

You can check the purge system by placing some window cleaner or just plain water on the two pads off to the right where the print head parks. Make sure it remains pooled on the two pads for a minute or so. It will appear shiny. Then do a print head cleaning and look to see if the liquid has been sucked away. It should look dull and coarse. Let us know what happens.

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ghwellsjr, thanks for the reply
i didn't get a chance to test until now

tested + did as u instructed
no joy :(
absolutely nothing for pgibk

after rechecking, both pads looked similar colours
after putting the cleaner on, the pads looked cleaner
after running print head cleaning and print checks, the pads look ink soaked

BUT, the square pad looks as though it has a single line in the middle
i must have done 5 normal print head cleaning + 2 deep cleans - the single line still remains

i have another (faulty) mp830 at my disposal - so could possibly replace parts - if easy to do so!

one thing i would say: the pad cleaning process should come with a health warning - very hard to get to!
through experience, i knew i could pull the plug when the print head was in the middle with the printer open
somone else might not do this!

let me know what else i can do. thanks