Pgi ink from mx870 to pro9500

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The pgi-9 inks are not pigment oil based?
You ask many questions but do not answer questions asked of you here and on other threads.

This isn't a one-way street. We don't get paid to help you. Your participation is expected in exchange for our participation. If asked a question then it is expected you answer to the best of your ability just as you expect of others. Laziness is not an excuse.

Do not abuse our generosity.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
The pgi-9 inks are not pigment oil based? How come so that they don't smear when put in water? I always thought they used different solvant like oil to carry the ink particles.
See @PeterBJ 's answer.

Most probably there is a big difference in composition, since the PGBK inks are used in a sponge cartridge.
I used them only in a written off 9500 to print office documents, not as a valid replacement of PGI-9MBK.

IMO pigment particles can't be compared with sand in a river, I still must see the first pigment ink with sediments.
I am not a chemist, but I understand the pigments stay afloat in a liquid with the correct surface tension and bipolar wetting and dispersion additives. These additives also charges the pigments so they repel each other.

When you start reading about it you never would think about mixing inks again.
I always flush my carts when switching ink (and who knows what is the effect of the remaining flushing liquid).

Attachments

• 97 PON ING.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 337
Last edited:

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
OK.

I'll separate it out for better clarity. Have you noticed a dullness with printed blacks?

Sorry man I'm having some troubles quoting and replying since I'm from cellphone, I just found the option to show the edit with bbcode so it should be better now.

Let me try to reply all the questions:

- Do I have found the blacks be duller in print? Yes after the refilling from the original canon mbk to inktek mbk prints got duller using the same settings. I can confirm that I've selected the correct driver setting indeed I refilled 3 times the mbk while photo black wad not used at all and still full.

- It depends from the driver? No as stated above I compared the bottles content.

Canon original is the blackest, then come the mx870 inktek and the lighter is the 9500 inktek mbk.

You use quotations. This makes it appear you are directly quoting something. What?
No was not doing so. I remember that I read that on some site, not here but I don't remember what. Maybe the information were incorrect.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thank you for the reply, User5800.

I can confirm that I've selected the correct driver setting indeed I refilled 3 times the mbk while photo black wad not used at all and still full.
What paper and Paper setting did you use?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
:thumbsup