Pgi ink from mx870 to pro9500

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
I have various bottles of inktek pigment ink for the mx870, would like to use it for refill the mbk of 9500, it is possible to do so?

Actually using the Inktek mbk on the 9500, but would like to use the inktek mx870 pgi bk because I have lot of it and is also deeper black compared to the inktek mbk from the 9500 kit.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Since both are Pigment inks then theoretically, yes, you could use the MX870 ink in the Pro 9500 II. In fact, people have used Dye-based inks in place of Pigment inks. (Never use Pigment ink in place of Dye-based inks)

Will you be at increased risk for clogs or nozzle damage? I don't know.

Will color management be affected? Surely but to what extent remains to be determined once you try.

One other consideration. You mention "deeper black" with the MX870 PBGK text ink. What paper and printer setting are you using? Are you noting duller looking Blacks with certain papers/settings?

"When choosing matte photo paper in the print box, the printer uses PHOTO black ink. The ONLY way to get MATTE black in to work is to use one of cannons "fine art" paper selections."

Read the following link for more info.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3124314

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I have various bottles of inktek pigment ink for the mx870, would like to use it for refill the mbk of 9500, it is possible to do so?

Actually using the Inktek mbk on the 9500, but would like to use the inktek mx870 pgi bk because I have lot of it and is also deeper black compared to the inktek mbk from the 9500 kit.
I've done it (with other brand 3th party BK ink for similar dye printer) without issues.

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
So there's no difference between pgi ink for the mx series and pro9500 one? I read in past that the pgi-bk cartridge from the mx870 was pigment but like different, like changed the solvent being the pgi-520 cartridge "pigment water or other solvent based" and the pgi-9 "pigment oil based".

To reply stratman question the comparison was done out of the bottle directly, visible clearly on cap but also using a needle dirtied with ink and traced on paper. Inktek for the 9500 appears more like a dark grey while inktek for the mx870 is lot deeper black.

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
this one
One other consideration. You mention "deeper black" with the MX870 PBGK text ink. What paper and printer setting are you using? Are you noting duller looking Blacks with certain papers/settings?
You asked me if there was a driver setting that made me noting duller blacks but as I stated above my comparison between the two inks was done out of the ink bottles directly with a needle traced on paper and was evident that the mbk from the 9500 kit was lot lighter than the pgi black from mx870 kit.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
OK.

I'll separate it out for better clarity. Have you noticed a dullness with printed blacks?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
like changed the solvent being the pgi-520 cartridge "pigment water or other solvent based" and the pgi-9 "pigment oil based".
You use quotations. This makes it appear you are directly quoting something. What?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The pigment black used in the PGI-x20 in the MX870 is a special ink that is only used with plain paper. The benefits of this ink is a higher water resistance and a better sharpness than dye black ink. It is totally unsuitable for use on photo paper as it rubs off easily. It might work with special non coated papers though, like the Canon fine art papers.

Refill inks for PGI-9 MBK and PGI-x20 PGBK are different. Click the tab "Other Details" to see the manufacturers part number. The refill inks are from Octoink UK

The pigment particle size in the two inks might be different, so you might risk clogging of the nozzles if you use the PGBK ink instead of the MBK ink.

The inks used by most (all?) Canon printers are water based, whether pigment or dye. Oil or solvent based inks are used in a traditional letter-press and some special industrial inkjet printers.

Last edited:

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
The pgi-9 inks are not pigment oil based? How come so that they don't smear when put in water? I always thought they used different solvant like oil to carry the ink particles.