PG-540 und CLI-541 refill

stoppage

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Is it possable to refill the new cartridges PG-540 und CLI-541 for Canon Pixma MG2150? Are there instructions anywhere please?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkPFC4n2SgY&feature=related
It's important, if you use plugs, to drill the holes exactly where he drills them. He explaines why when he cuts the label (you shouldn't cut the label). The plugs he uses in the video are self-sealing plugs, so it's important that the original breathe holes and maze under the label remain untouched.
If you don't want to use plugs, you can carefully peel off the label and notice that the maze leads to indentations on the cartridge (3 for color cartridge, one in the center for black). Each indentation has one small hole in it, that's the spot where you should drill the refill holes (2mm in diameter is perfect). After refilling make sure the maze is clean and stick the label back on the cartridge in the exact same position as it was before.
If you don't care about ink evaporating (like me hehe) you can throw away the label. I ran 140ml of ink through a PG-510 before it was too dry and I had to wash it. But... don't do it like I do it. ;)

I take off my hat to The Hat. He was faster.

M

macbroom

Reminds me of refilling my old HP 830C. The thing to keep in mind with all these 3 color carts is that the labels NEVER match up with the colours of the chambers! Always dip with the toothpick to be sure. Canon is pulling out the stops on the low end models, I hope they don't go the integrated printhead route with the mid range models in the future that would be bad....very very bad! I could only get 3 refills out of the old HP before the sponges hardened.

stoppage

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Some things Im not so sure about. you can carefully peel off the label and notice that the maze leads to indentations on the cartridge. Sorry, what maze exactly.
I havent bought this printer yet maybe I should go for a previous modelIm not even sure if suitable ink is available for it yet. The instructions look a little too Hit n Miss for comfort. Has anybody had success using this method (without using stoppers i.e.peeling off label) to actually refill the above cartridges?

M

macbroom

I'd stay away from this as the printhead is part of the cartridge. As Stratman posted today all new members should edit their profiles to show their location after they have 10 posts. This makes it easier for others to provide advise.

A Canon printer that uses separate carts for each colour makes refilling easier so I would look for that I can't provide specific model advise as I am oblivious to your location!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
macbroom said:
As Stratman posted today all new members should edit their profiles to show their location after they have 10 posts.
Not what I said. Link or slink, macbroom.

M

macbroom

Sorry but I paraphrased " good advise, why don't you follow it" , I didn't quote that for obvious reasons.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
It was The Hat who suggested adding location to one's profile in that thread, not me. I did not know 10 posts are required before adding location to one's profile - thank you for that info. Stoppage already had 10 posts on the forum when you posted your comment. Why didn't you post that info on the other thread where it had contextual meaning?