PG-40 Ink refill for Pixma MP160 - question(s)

xbassman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Been reading how-to on this site and tried the pop-a-top method on one of my PG-40 almost empty carts. When I pop the top I see a "white" layer of what looks like styrofoam....anyway, I filled w/14cc of ink (black) and am letting it sit. Should I tape over the nozzle area? The other PG-40 which is in the printer shows 1/2 full so I took it out and used the drill a hole method, put approx. 8cc of black ink in it and put it back into the printer...working fine so far. If the black 40's work, I will graduate to trying the color cart. next. Thanks in advance for the answer to my question above. Go Aggies!

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
xbassman said:
am letting it sit. Should I tape over the nozzle area?
If you are letting it sit, for a long period i would "tape" over the nozzle area to retain moisture around the nozzles, DO NOT USE STICKY TAPE OR SIMILAR. (Use Sandwich Wrap/Shrinkwrap).

All the carts I have "popped the top off" have shown a white clean surface , this I believe is Canon`s wish to cut back on the ink and run out quicker. My re-fills now are such to introduce enough ink to just color the surface, this seems to work ok, but do not have a "wet " surface. If you do cross contaminate at any time, just lift out the "White StyroFoam", run until clear under a faucet, dry with a paper napkin, replace in cart and re-ink.

I do not favor the Drill method, you are working "blind ", ok for the black but iffy where the color cart is concerned, but it's up to you. With top off method you let your eyes tell you when enough is enough.

After refills I always run a cleaner cycle....if a nozzle check reveals a color missing then I do a Deep clean till it re-appears........(I buy such cheap ink, I don't worry about losing some), I am still using the 3 sets of carts I started with over a year ago on an MP150.
You do not mention which printer you are using, but on my MP150, and 5200, the Canon ink monitor is programmed to count the number of nozzle fires to arrive at an ink level reading, i.e. you topping up your cart will not improve its reading.......it will eventually say it is empty, and it won't be, it never saw the ink go in.

xbassman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. My printer is the Pixma MP160 and at this time I am only re-inking the PG40 or Black cart. I bought a re-ink kit fm Wallyworld mfgd by Nukote - black only. My printer was not listed but fig. that ink is ink. It is designed for ink jet printers. Workes so far and the pop a top method was used for the one in the printer now and the drill method was used for the spent black one I removed a short time ago. Again, tnx for the help:D

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I've had great success with the PG-40 and 41. The important thing to remember, is NEVER to overfill these, or any other cartridges.

It is always preferable to underfill instead.....

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I used to pop up the PG40 and inject ink into the white sponge, I tried this way today: After pop the cover off , I lifted the white sponge and noticed that the ink mark on the sponge only reached about 1/2 the height of the sponge, and by taking out the sponge, you can see the screen above the printhead. I poured some alcohol covering the screen and soaked it for a while until the top screen showed its metallic color and some alcohol pass through the print head, you can put the cartridge on a towel and see some colored alcohol comes out, I let the cartridge sat dry for a while then filled the well with ink, about 15 mils, then I slowly pushed the sponge back, I can see now the ink gets into the sponge but not saturated because the top is still white and dry. I stamped the cartridge a few times on the towel and put it back after tape the cover with electric tape. The cartridge prints good.

fabstock

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi, I have refilled a PG40 but my printer still shows low ink and when I try to print in greyscale, the page comes out blank. I have tried to find out how to reset the ink level but the info is very vague. Can someone please tell me exactly in detail how to do this? The user manual I got with the printer is useless so please do not refer me to it. I just need to know what buttons to press. Thanks for any help given.

magicpix

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello there, pebe.

The refillingstructions says to "hold the paper feed button" . But the MP 160 does not have that button. It has a "Stop/Reset" button. Is this the button to press instead?

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
magicpix said:
Hello there, pebe.

The refillingstructions says to "hold the paper feed button" . But the MP 160 does not have that button. It has a "Stop/Reset" button. Is this the button to press instead?
looking at the right hand side of machine the button on the extreme right is the ON/Off button (no.10 in Manual)

next (going left a bit and down ) is the Stop /Reset button (button 9 in manual)

next to it (on its left), The color button. (button 8 )
next to it ( " " ), the black button (button 7 )

Its confusing but the on screen manual describes the 150 r/h buttons as:-

(8) [Color] Button*

Starts color copying. Also, press this button to confirm settings or operations.

(9) [Stop/Reset] Button

Cancels operations and returns the machine to standby mode.

(10) [ON/OFF] Button

Turns the machine ON and OFF. Before turning ON the machine, make sure the Document Cover is closed.

For overriding an ink out warning, the machine warning dialogue box shows button 8 as being the one to press.

"press this button to confirm settings or operations". This is the one I use, just press it once and wait 2-3 seconds .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

magicpix

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Headphonesman,

I did as suggested (by pressing button 8 with document cover closed). Now printer LED flashes E and 2 alternately. the orange light appears beside Alarm, Black Ink and Color Ink. What do I do now?