P900 Premium glosssy paper not enough patches or fake Epson ink?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Qimage does not manage color if you let driver do it, and if it is turned off in epson driver its the same as your suggestion.
I'm not clear from your feedback that you really turned off printer ICC in Qimage and Color mgmt off in the driver both at the same time to print the patch sheet.

I still think there is something wrong with the Driver/Qimage settings.

Did you check in a nozzle check that all colors are really printing ?

There is no way to control color intensities once you turn off all such options as I see it.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I'm not clear from your feedback that you really turned off printer ICC in Qimage and Color mgmt off in the driver both at the same time to print the patch sheet.
As you know when you turn off color management in printer driver you can select either of two options in qimage having same result. You can choose "let printer driver manage color" or "color management off".

In my case as expected these selections produce same output.

I still think there is something wrong with the Driver/Qimage settings.
This can be the case.

Did you check in a nozzle check that all colors are really printing ?
Sure I checked, the printer is new, no issues with nozzles.

There is no way to control color intensities once you turn off all such options as I see it.
This is the main problem. Printer does not output intense enought Green and Blue to match what it outputs when epson created their profile. The colorthink screenshots of the OEM profile vs. i1Profiler profile clearly shows this.

Unless there is hidden way to make printer print more Green and Blue I can't make same gamut profile as epson OEM. Either this is

1. a bug in driver, but strangely I can't find this issue anywhere,
2. intentional limitation even it it's undocumented

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I even tried printfab printer driver, the output is similar, colors are washed out. Profile created has not only smaller gamut but jagged edges as result of poor linearization the printfab has done.

Many years ago I contacted printfab about custom linearization their were promising it even since. Their forum is not working so can't post a link.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Let's keep Printfab out of the discussion, I don't like it , the dithering creates unwanted patterns in areas of uniform colors, it could have been made a much better program in my opinion.

Thanks for the detailed feedback, I'm still scratching my head to find a hidden variable we don't have on the screen at this time.

There is another variable - the paper selection in the driver - there are probably 4 different types for glossy paper - Ultra Glossy - premium Glossy - Premium Semigloss - Photo Paper Glossy - did you try any other of those ? (This would be the situation where just a small patch sheet would be good enough to see if cyan/blue is there or not enough - and scanned much quicker than 2500 patches ...........) Anyway - there is a reason that I'm asking - I saw some strange results with my ET8550 when I was creating profiles for it - for matte papers - I can select Inkjet - Matte - Fine Art. I was using the same matte paper with these different paper selections - Inkjet delivers a much smaller gamut than Fineart or Matte - on the same paper - a kind of similar effect you see. The paper selection controls the ink limits for Epson papers in the driver even if you are turning off color mgmt - you may give it a try with other paper types - the P900 driver most likely offers you similar papers to select.

And there is another parameter in the driver for the ET-8550 which you could have as well in the P900 drdiver - it's on the maintenance tab - extended settings - print density . It's very much hidden there. This controls an overall ink limit which I can change this way - some papers take less ink than others before I get ink puddles on the paper. And this parameter is as well active even with color mgmt off. Check if your driver offers you as well control of the print density. Just turn up print density for a test.

Last edited:

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
There is no sutch thing as "maintenance tab - extended settings - print density"

However there seems to be intentional bug in the way how color management turns off in Windows 10. Windows 7 works as expected.

If you select the Off no color adjustment, color management is not turned off !!!!!!
Who is the IDIOT who made this driver ???

To turn off the color management in Windows 10 you have to:

1. Select ICM
P900-Premiumglossy7.png

2. Select Advanced
3. untick the checkbox from image
P900-Premiumglossy8.png

Should look like this
P900-Premiumglossy9.png

4. Click OK to close the window

Then the color management turns off, after you OK from all windows and open driver settings again.
P900-Premiumglossy11.png

Will print and test with this config.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I installed the P900 driver - you are right - there is no print density setting option available - Epson sometimes calls this tab 'maintenance' and sometimes 'utility' - so this option does not exist for the P900.

I don't have a printer available for any testing which makes it difficult for me to follow your actions - Windows problems etc - but this very well could be the problem, and I hope you are on the right track

Last edited:

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Here is the result of Color Management really OFF.

P900-Premiumglossy17.png

Not enough orange and Red. Yellow on top is questionable.
Blue on bottom is acceptable.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm a kind of lost what you are currently doing - what data you display and which parameters you are using - is it still the issue with 'color mgmt off'?

I'm normally using other software tools for profile display - please post the Epson profile you are comparing to - and the icc-profile you create and which you consider as faulty - too small for reasons you don't have a grip on at this time.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
What has display to do with this. I posted epson oem profile compared to data sent to printer (bigger color space color dots) and printed result (green dots) with color management off. Conclusion is that epson has made their profile by printing more intense colors then by simply turning color management off.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
epson has made their profile by printing more intense colors then by simply turning color management off.
Yes, that's the unkown variable at this time which driver setting is controlling these 'more intense colors'.

I posted epson oem profile compared to data sent to printer (bigger color space color dots) and printed result (green dots) with color management off.
I don't like Chromix Colorthink and don't use it, your display just shows one level of luminance. I'm rather using the old MonacoGamutWorks software for it and would like to compare your profiles with mine I made longer time ago for some pigment ink printers.