P600 Aftermarket Inks and Refillable Carts?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I know that the question was about replacement inks for the P600. I looked on Precision Colors site for inks to the P800 and they no longer deliver kits for this printer. They say:
"The P800 chips are no longer compatible with the later shipping P800 printers in North America and possibly worldwide. The intial set of chips were tested to be compatible with very early P800 machines in Asia. After shipping, they intially worked and stories surfaced about being unable to reset but my testing actually goes beyond that. Even replacement chips are not being accepted. The P800 is now equipped with a strong memory buffer system that appears to remember both the chip type and ink level and will not reaccept a similar chip even with a higher ink level. The reset process does not even come to play in this scenario. The chip designers are working to trying to get around the problem. When a solution appears, any previous purchaser should contact me for replacement chips which will be provided free of charge."
I don't know if it's the same for the P600
No, the P600 is safe and has been stable. I am even testing a manual resetter for the P600 this current period ( resets ARCs as well) to see its effectiveness and where it can really be of use. So you can choose to run ARC chips or use ARC in combination with a resetter. The user is in TOTAL control of the chip situation in this model.

There is some sense of why Epson has targetted the 800 and not the 600. One sense of reasoning is that they want the P600 to be more friendly to the consumer and then they will upsize to a "nice" machine for 17" media. A sweet spot.

Greatwhitewing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Surecolor P600
Well, one good thing, at least in my twisted mind, is to see PC doesn't continue to sell a product that doesn't work. I hope they do right by the customers that invested in a kit that doesn't work.
And glad I didn't go for the wider printer... Actually my decision was based on the Cone Color experience the chips don't work and ah cost too.. This is only a hobby for me not a profession. My daughter is a budding photographer so maybe I can become her printing thechie/groupie...lol

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Despite Epson having such a tight grip on their P800 machine to prevent the use of compatible carts, I reckon there’re always a kink in the armour, they never quite get it 100% right.

As with HP in the past, I wonder would the 3-cartridge trick work with this Epson model, and because its new there wouldn’t be that much testing on how to fool their intelligent chips...

Like this for instance, OEM’s to start, then compatibles, then back to OEM’s twice and then compatibles again, by altering the argument, this might cause a continuous loop to occur ?..

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
One sense of reasoning is that they want the P600 to be more friendly to the consumer and then they will upsize to a "nice" machine for 17" media. A sweet spot.

I think as well that this is a marketing decision to which level of difficulty they block the use of 3rd party cartridges. Today's processors would be capable enough to provide any level of protection. But then there would be bad press, customers claiming some consumer rights, probable court proceedings and publicity with it, impact on business etc . The printer companies started ligitations against patent right violations , let customs seize imports etc but always leave a gap somewhere. I would consider the P600 still as a (higher end) consumer product, the P800 not anymore on which they can tighten up the protection level. It may end up with a situation that the cracking does not happen on chip level anymore but that these 'resetter' boards are becoming more popular and more sophisticated, or that the printer firmware gets hacked and replaced. It's already happening at a low level with DSLR cameras, there are modifications to Canon cameras available adding and changing functions.

Taksmon

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L805, SC-P600
Well now that the SC-P5000 has been announced as the pro 17" printer replacing the 4900, maybe they'll forget about locking down the P800 o_O

Manual resetter on the ARC refillable carts work great on the P600 too.