Options with 3880 ink tampon?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
slackercruster said:
The 3880 has a box that catches the ink sprayed out during ink changes. Is there a low cost option to avoid having to buy this expensive ink tampon?
I can't be sure specifically for this model but there's probably a chip resetter available to reset the tank chip and then it's a case of finding some replacement pad material.

The latter option is on my radar although I'm also looking at options for external tanks of the Printer Potty variety... Not something for short term though.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Yes there are resetters for the maintenance tanks and you can simply remove the grated top cover, remove the waste ink saturated material and replace it with anything that will readily absorb ink.
One resetter that works perfectly is about $80-$90 from Inkjetmall.
However these tanks are only about $20 new so I find going that route to be a bit ridiculous.
It takes over a year of heavy printing to even use up one tank.

Joe

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
websnail said:
slackercruster said:
The 3880 has a box that catches the ink sprayed out during ink changes. Is there a low cost option to avoid having to buy this expensive ink tampon?
I can't be sure specifically for this model but there's probably a chip resetter available to reset the tank chip and then it's a case of finding some replacement pad material.
several years ago I saw a post on a different forum that recommended using some sort of wall-to-wall carpet padding cut to size for replacing the ink absorbing pad. Jute or artificial jute padding and not the various types of foam. Carpet companies discard all sorts of scraps of these materials that might work.

bobjoek

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
fotofreek said:
websnail said:
slackercruster said:
several years ago I saw a post on a different forum that recommended using some sort of wall-to-wall carpet padding cut to size for replacing the ink absorbing pad. Jute or artificial jute padding and not the various types of foam. Carpet companies discard all sorts of scraps of these materials that might work.
I just stuff my maintenance tank with folded paper towels. They are absorbent and will hold a significant amount of ink. Sometimes the simplest solutions are best.

Bob

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
One video I've seen they used superabsorbant spill pads for it. These are usually sold only as an industrial product and not in regular stores, though I have seen them in automotive stores for oil spill cleanup. You need to make sure the pads you buy can absorb water based products too. Some can only absorb oil, some are only for water, some are for both. Pig Brand is one company that makes them. No affiliation - we just used to get their catalogs all the time.