Oops, have I made a terrible mistake?

easytimes

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have been happily refilling my IP8500 and my IP4200 for a little while, now... but with exactly the same ink. Now I notice that the Precision Colors numbers for the same ink is different on two of the inks I'm using. The yellow and cyan are the same, but the black dye and magenta are different. It's 1109 vs 1008 for the black and 6121 vs 6053 for the magenta. I was thinking the numbers were interchangeable... at least on the IP4200 and the IP8500, but that seems not to be the case.

For the first time, yesterday, I have also refilled a cyan tank for my new IP4700 that I just bought, with the same cyan as I used on the other two... but it's a different number, yet. I haven't put the cyan tank in the IP4700, but I wondered if it would make much difference? The cyan is 0244 vs 2032, but all the rest of the dyes are the same, but the black pigment is 1128 vs 1020. Will any of these clog in the print head of the printers using different numbered inks? I realy like ALL of my Canon printers, and would hate to ruin any of them.

I have black Octoinkjet pigment, but that has no numbers on it... only the Precision Colors has the numbers I referenced. It has been working fine in my IP4200, but I wonder, now, if I should use it on the IP4700. Any experience on the forum that can put me straight? Is mixing ink numbers dangerous?
Thanks...

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You're not going to hurt any of your printers or your cartridges by using these different inks, you just might get some colors that are off by a little bit. But you can hurt your print head by leaving a cartridge out of it for more than a few minutes, you don't want dry ink to collect inside the print head. And you don't want to leave the outlet port on a cartridge exposed to air for very long either for the same reason, you don't want ink to dry out on the outlet filter.

I'm sure you know not to mix the pigment and dye black inks.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The numbers refer to the changes in the colors between generations of printers from the Canon line.
As long as you maintain the distinction between dye and pigment, you will be physically OK. That is, you can replace pigment with dye but do not place pigment black into the skinny dye cartridge. Obviously there will be slight color variations between the different inks that will be noticeable when printing photos. If general printing is done, the small changes are not too dramatic on plain paper.

To add more confusion, I have changed the complete set of CMY colors for the 4700 after a period of development. These will be labeled C221xD. These are improved inksets for the 221/226/521/526 cartridges. The CMY colors on these are completely different from the 4200 and 8500 generation.

easytimes

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks so much!
I didn't think it would do too much damage, but I wanted to make sure, since the 8500 and 4700 are fairly far away from each other, generationally speaking.

I have only purchased the 8500 inks, since they include all the same dye based inks of all three printers. The Octoinkjet pigment that I have came from a kind and generous member of this forum, and because of his generosity, I won't be buying pigment until some time in much warmer weather or beyond.

As far as the color profiles are concerned... I don't do any professional work... mostly gifts for friends and my own use. If I don't like a particular photo... I change it to suit my eye. Actual color precision is not as critical to me as my simple minded aesthetic demands.

So far, I haven't tried to use pigment for dye... but I have this dyslexic problem with trying to put cyan into the photo-cyan tank and vice versa... same for the magenta duo. Grr! But overall, the ink refill project has been an interesting and VERY money saving adventure. If I could only learn how to do it without the rainbow colored fingers... other than scrubbing them with Scotch-Brite pads, which works, but causes some skin problems in cold weather.
Thanks again for the quick and helpful responses.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Latex exam gloves. I'm a retired orthodontist and I can order them from the dental supply firm. If you have a dentist friend have him/her order a package of the cheapest gloves - around $5-$6 per hundred - No inky fingers! They are generic and don't come left and rights. You can also buy them at hardware stores, but they cost a bit more. Order them by size. Although bleach is tough on skin, I use it for the few small spots that may get on my skin when changing carts if my cleanup wasn't perfect after refilling. I just lightly dampen a wash rag and wipe the ink off my skin or any other surface that won't be damaged by bleach. Wash it off quickly and completely afterward, and don't get any on your clothes!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
A very good remover of dye stains is strangely enough a rather harmless substance: sodium benzoate crystals. Wet your hands with water and add a teaspoon of those crystals and rub until the crystals have been dissolved and the stains removed from your fingers. Rinse well afterward. Sodium benzoate is used as food preservative (sauces, jams etc.) and used as a expectorant in cough syrups.

easytimes

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks again.

I always take experience based advice to heart. I do have problems with working with gloves. I was sited for not wearing my working gloves for the whole 15 years I worked in a sheetmetal shop. I just find it difficult to deal with small stuff with any kind of hand covering. Only time I ever used gloves in the shop was when I was handling something very hot, working with the welders. I might be able to deal with the very tight exam gloves, but I have some nitriles for dealing with allergy problems on my hands, but the fit is somewhat loose, and I always mess things up with them.

Until I find a way, plain water and Scotch-Brite pads will instantly take off anything on the skin areas... they just don't reach into the crevices around fingernails very easily. As far as the dry problem, I can use Aquaphor ointment to bring back the moisture level. I tried my wife's lotions and creams, but they dry the skin too much... ointments work much better. Take it from someone who had allergic rashes for quite a few years, and needed something to keep the skin from cracking and bleeding.
Maybe some other folks can find something useful in this conversation, as well.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I've also had rashes on my hands - primarily from the water and abraisiveness of clay when I was enjoying working on a potter's wheel. The Nitrile gloves are, as you mentioned, loose fitting and do not conform to your hands like the latex ones. If you get the right size latex gloves they don't have to feel that tight. Some people are allergic to latex and do have rashes from them. I've never had that problem. I've also done a fair amount of welding and worn heat resistant gloves, and those would certainly be a problem when handling small items. The latex gloves, however, don't restrict your sense of touch that much, and nothing involving refilling carts is small enough to be a problem with these gloves. Using squeeze bottles instead of syringes makes the whole process easier and neater as well.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
easytimes said:
Thanks again.

I always take experience based advice to heart. I do have problems with working with gloves. I was sited for not wearing my working gloves for the whole 15 years I worked in a sheetmetal shop. I just find it difficult to deal with small stuff with any kind of hand covering. Only time I ever used gloves in the shop was when I was handling something very hot, working with the welders. I might be able to deal with the very tight exam gloves, but I have some nitriles for dealing with allergy problems on my hands, but the fit is somewhat loose, and I always mess things up with them.

Until I find a way, plain water and Scotch-Brite pads will instantly take off anything on the skin areas... they just don't reach into the crevices around fingernails very easily. As far as the dry problem, I can use Aquaphor ointment to bring back the moisture level. I tried my wife's lotions and creams, but they dry the skin too much... ointments work much better. Take it from someone who had allergic rashes for quite a few years, and needed something to keep the skin from cracking and bleeding.
Maybe some other folks can find something useful in this conversation, as well.
There are latex-free gloves that are spectacular, such as the powder-free synthetic polyisoprene surgical gloves under the name "Esteem Blue" or "Esteem Micro". They are a great fitting and sensitive pair of non-latex gloves. You will need to source them from medical/surgical retailers or someone who works in the medical field, best bet those doing surgery. There are other brands of good non-latex surgical gloves.

Your Aquaphor is a "moisturizing" emollient ointment that is great for very rough and cracked skin. Good old vaseline, also an emollient ointment, will work too, but people may find it too greasy. Cetaphil, Eucerin and others make excellent "moisturizing" emollient ointments. In general, emollients provide a better barrier to moisture loss and last longer than lotions. Creams are in the middle of lotions and emollients. Each has their purpose and target site - you might use any one of the three on your limbs but dry, red, cracked hands might do better with an emollient while you might prefer a lotion or cream for your scalp or face. Personal preference does come into play.

Some key points in treating dry skin is to use an appropriate lotion, cream or conditioner for the problem and location (and tolerance), use it after bathing just after patting dry while the skin is moist (to lock in moisture), and use the skin product as directed to give maximal results in the shortest time. If in doubt what type or brand to use, or how rigorous to use it, or concerned about allergies, ask you physician.

(What forum am I on?)

easytimes

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I guess you're covering the problems some (maybe many) people have when they refill ink carts and tanks. It's all part of the deal to me. I'm with you on the Vaseline... from back in my allergic days. But my wife is convinced that plain old Vaseline, or any store brand petrolatum can't be as good as higher priced petrolatum laced products. She thinks it's the emollients, but I have learned it's the petrolatum... I just use whatever she buys. "Yes dear".

While I'm posting, I just want to say... this has been one of my best experiences "SAVING MONEY." I know it defies the objective, but I almost can't wait to swap out a group of tanks and refill the empties. The ink even seems to last longer, as well, but I guess it's like that watched pot that never boils... me lookin' for the low ink warning, makes it seem like the ink doesn't run out. Who ever thought that saving money could be this much fun?

I just appreciate everybody for being here, willing to offer their good advice. Of course, it's like so many people participating on many of these forums... it gives you a great feeling to be human, sometimes. It's a shame that some think that rioting and burning things is better than helping folks. I'm sure some have their reasons, but I think the world could use more "forum attitude."