Once Used dried OEM cartridges...

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Some kind soul gave me a bag of once used, dried out, OEM CLI-8 and PGI-5 cartridges.
Can you tell me whether you think I should flush them before refilling them?
Flush them all?
Flush only the PGI-5?
Or no need to flush, just refill and seal the exit port and vent?

Anyone had positive results from just refilling without flushing?

Thanks!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
definitely the PGI-5 must be flushed, but also be conditioned if you want to revive the ink absorption degree like it originally was. Use my conditioning solution to achieve this. Whether or not to flush the dye cartridges depends on the condition of the cartridges. If you see fluffy things coming out from the ink outlet port, I would suggest you do, otherwise dye ink cartridges can be used immediately, but since the ink has dried, the intensity of the first prints will be very pronounced, because the ink is more concentrated.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Definitely PGI-5 should be flushed. I have a large plastic bottle filled with clean water then a few ml of Ammonia (available from drug stores). This water/Ammonia mix in some cases is the only thing that will clean out the dried ink in a PGI-5 successfully. As far as CLI-8 cartridges I normally never bother to purge them. I can tell if the sponge does absorb ink or not when I refill them. If the sponge does not absorb ink then I may give it a purge.