Ok to subsitute dye ink for pigment black ink if text quality low pri?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I've seen posts indicating that it is ok to substitute black dye ink for black pigment ink with Canon inkjets. I've also seen posts indicating this is ill-advised. I'd appreciate learning about pros and cons in different circumstances so I can make an informed decision.

For example, using dye ink meant for CLI-8-Bk carts in PGI-5bk carts. Or dye ink meant for CLI-221-Bk in PGI-220-Bk carts.

So far, I've never use my inkjets for text printing, so I'm mostly ignorant about pigment ink. My impression is that pigment ink is more prone to clogging than dye ink, which would be the upside / justification to the substitution.

It's not an issue for my 9000-2 with eight CLI-8 dye carts, but my iP4500 has both CLI-8-Bk and PGI-5Bk. I'm trying to evaluate whether it would make sense in my situation to refill the iP4500 PGI-5Bk cart with dye ink.

Some less-than-informed speculations/premises follow that may or may not be correct, and feedback appreciated to "correct the error of my ways":

* If you rarely or never make text prints, then substituting black dye for black pigment might reduce clog potential with little downside.

* If text quality is a low priority, then substituting dye for pigment has minimal downside.

* Pigment is less prone to smearing if it gets wet or high-lighters used?

* Pigment clogs are typically harder to resolve than dye clogs.

* Text made from black pigment ink would probably resist fading and have better archival longevity.

* Seems like nozzle diameter for pigment would be larger than dye nozzles, so that could have potential for problems. Also, my impression is that the ink droplet size for pigment is quite a bit bigger than dye. The nozzle heater is expecting relatively thick, viscous pigment, but instead is boiling thinner, lower viscosity dye. I'm unclear if this really matters or not.

* Non-issue for b/w photo prints because black pigment ink not used in that situation. (Unless meda-type is Plain paper?)

So is the following a reasonable "decision tree" if the above premises are more or less correct?

* If you don't print all that much, and text quality is a low priority, then you are perhaps a good candidate for substituting black dye ink for black pigment ink. (but probably hold off until clogs become an issue)

* If you print quite a bit (text or photo), then continue using black pigment ink. On those occasions when there is a week between printing, be diligent about doing a preventative maintenance nozzle check.