Oh-oh. CD printer?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

That is an excellent price for 100 Watershield JVC-Taiyo Yuden. I can't get close to that in the USA. Makes me wonder if these are B Stock, which when I was actively printing disks I did not hear about Watershield seconds. Then again, when I bought TY from Meritline out of California and they turned out to be less than B Stock (Value Line) and were supposed to be sold in Mexico.

All the above is to say make sure you are purchasing from a TY authorized distributor and use a credit card or PayPal (or similar) that gives you extra purchase protection. When I was printing disks there were no fake TY's yet but that was several years ago. A guide on ID'ing TY (may be outdated now): [url]http://www.supermediastore.com/article/u/taiyo-yuden-how-to-tell-fake-or-real[/url]

In general, when I was printing disks that is, the best media (lowest errors) comes out of Japan. An exception was FalconMedia out of UAE and Verbatims out of Taiwan. I've used most printable surfaces and found that certain print jobs lend themselves to different printable surfaces. I love the Watershields, though some Canon (and Epson) printers left lines/dots along the surface for some people due to the rollers that move the disk which was believed to be due to the thickness of the Watershield disk. I never had that issue with my Canon MP810. I see there is a second generation Watershield. Maybe these are a response to the roller lines?

Regardless, I have CDR White Watershield TY's, Silver printable TY DVD+R's, and FalconMedia white printable DVD+R DL's sitting on my desk as I type. Each has been fantastic media concerning burn errors and the printable surfaces fantastic for their intended jobs. I think I have 4 or 5 other printable media disk types around, though the very old TDK's I cannot give away. The JVC - TY PrintPlus Semi-Gloss have an orange peel like effect that at first I thought were bad disks but are not. They can recreate certain manufacturer print jobs superbly. The media surface choices in all the major brands really do give you the ability to control the finished product similar to using different photo papers.

You may have figured it out: I like printable media. A lot.

If you are interested in learning more about printable media and how well the disks burn concerning errors, check out the threads at [url]http://club.myce.com/f33/[/url]

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Humbum, no, you shouldn't have to buy a new power cord. I think you just need an adapter, which should cost you around 5 pounds or less. Check that the voltage is correct, of course.

Some people say the Tayo-Yuden (JVC) Watershields are the best. There has been a problem with counterfeit disks, but if you can get them from JVC, that should take care of that problem. I have used Verbatim DataLifePlus disks, with excellent success. Hundreds of disks printed, zero problems. They have a matte finish instead of the Watershield glossy finish.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Humbum most of these power cables on printers, scanners and portable radios are all the same so you can use any one of them for your new printer, or just cut off the plug on the cable and fit a new one yourself.

It’s going to be interesting to see how well you fare out with Customs and excise…!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The US model Pro-100 will handle both 115 VAC 60 Hz and 230 VAC 50 Hz, so no voltage converter is necessary. You can replace the power cord or replace the plug or use an adapter as you like. See this, and click the specifications tab and scroll down to power requirements.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
stratman said:
I love the Watershields, though some Canon (and Epson) printers left lines/dots along the surface for some people due to the rollers that move the disk which was believed to be due to the thickness of the Watershield disk. I never had that issue with my Canon MP810. I see there is a second generation Watershield. Maybe these are a response to the roller lines?

The printing surface is thinner now than when they first came out. A result of product improvement and probably to address the roller lines you mention.

The wrapper on the JVC Watershields DVDs state: " JVC(r) Joint Venture of Taiyo Yuden Co., Ltd. and Victor Company of Japan, Limited", "MID: TYG03", and "Made In Japan". So I have no reason to think they're not authentic discs.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Thank you all for your help, especially @The Hat! :D I now have a Canon Pixma Pro 100 on its' way from America, all parts included, at £181 after shipping, duty and exchange rates. I'll probably have to get a new power cord but I'm happy that I don't have to pay £350 - £360 as I feared. The printer itself was $140! My only worry is if it comes through ParcelForce. If that happens then its' life expectancy will decrease massively.

My next problem will be printable CDs and paper, it will be fun experimenting though. I'll definitely be ordering from Octoink with my next pay, I'm thinking of going for the 100ml starter. Anyone know the shelf life of their ink? I think it may be worth purchasing some empty cartridges too and selling the new ones, is this reasonable?

I assume you are in the UK.

If this turns out well I would imagine quite a few of our UK members will be interested in the methodology.

Problem could be in the event of a warranty claim. Guess that is a calculated risk you take for the large saving.

Good luck, let us know the end result.

Roy Sletcher

shmungerwos

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro100 & Dell Laser 1110
Has it arrived yet?

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Well, the time for dithering is over. I made an unexpected impulse buy. After about 5 minutes of due diligence, $70 delivered to my doorstep:
http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...r-50-plus-s-h-nov-28-30-2014.9519/#post-77130

I may still need an all-in-one (or I may not). But there are lots of good choices, and thanks to people who responded to this thread and others, I'm familiar with many of them. Now, does anyone want to buy a used Pro 9000, which may or may not work? Only $70. :)

shmungerwos

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro100 & Dell Laser 1110
Whoops. I didn't have the patience to go back in the thread. Meant to ask @Humbum

My printer won't arrive until the end of Nov but thanks to eBay you get international tracking so I'll keep you posted on the times if you like. :) Thankfully buyer protection extends overseas so it's pretty risk free; all in all you can gauge pretty close to what you'll pay at every step and if things go wrong you'll likely be alright if you've read the description. This link may interest you further: eBay GSP (Global Shipping Program). If I find any problems I'll let you know!
@Humbum Did you get it? Did you have to add anything for VAT, etc?