Oh no! I filled cartridges with wrong color

Wazzu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am still quite new at this, and it had been a long time since I last needed to refill my cartridges. I have a Canon 9500 printer and have been using Precision Colors inks.

At this time, I'm refilling two sets of cartridges. As I said, it had been awhile, and I apparently forgot that some of the colors are similarly named. To my horror, I just discovered that I filled my "PM" Photo Magenta cartridges with regular Magenta. I thought I was being careful. Apparently not!!!

I've done some searching, but can't find my specific problem. What would you advise I do? Start over with new Photo Magenta cartridges?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
My though would be to remove and discard the ink from the cart (a big wad of paper towels touching the outlet sponge, held in place with rubber bands would do the trick), then refill with PM if color accuracy is not important. If color accuracy is important, purge the drained cart and refill with PM.

Wayne

benBen

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I , being a refill newbie myself, made exactly the same mistake.
What I did is just emptying the regular magenta cartridge and throw that ink away. Made sure all PM ink came out of the M cartridge.
Then I sucked the regular magenta ink out of the PM cartridge with a syringe and injected that in the M cartridge.
I cleaned the PM cartridge inside with a bit of ajax/windex and after that some purified water.
let it drip out well.
After that fresh PM ink in the PM cartridge.
Works fine again.
I had complete new cartridges so there was not a mix up of some old and fresh inks inside.
Otherwise I would have thrown away both fillings and not just the PM.

Wazzu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks, guys!

One of the cartridges is rubber banded to some paper towels as we speak. lol I have been using the German refill method, so I don't have any holes drilled in the cartridges. I will read up more on how to purge and clean cartridges.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Wazzu said:
Thanks, guys!

One of the cartridges is rubber banded to some paper towels as we speak. lol I have been using the German refill method, so I don't have any holes drilled in the cartridges. I will read up more on how to purge and clean cartridges.
The PGI-9 cartridge cant be refilled using the German refill or top refill method either;
it can only be refilled from the ink outlet.

The PGI-9 cartridge is very simple to empty the ink out of,
by just squeezing the sides gently while holding it over a waste container.

To refill these cartridges properly youll need to read up on the several methods
that are currently been used to do this, purging is covered also.

There are several little tools available that will help make the refilling procedure faster and easier,
so it would be wise to check them out or make one yourself,
the PGI9 cartridge is the easiest cartridge of all Canon cartridges to refill.

http://www.precisioncolors.com/Refilling the Canon PGI.pdf
http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/InkClip9-%2d-PGI%2d9-Refilling-Adapter.html
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=48202#p48202

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Want a quick way to extract the wrong ink? Take one of the orange covers. Use a pushpin and pierce the rubber stopper all the way though the rubber AND the orange plastic from the rubber side.
Take the cover and from the plastic side, put a needle through the hole and rubber until it just comes out of the rubber. Snap the cover onto the cartridge. Attach the syringe and draw the ink out. Repeat as necessary. When you have extracted all you can, and do it slowly, you will see the window is flat against the side of the cartridge. Now remove the the needle.

Refill as normal. Don't worry about the extra wrong ink left inside if it is a magenta -pm mixup. The silicone rubber provides an airtight seal around the needle. Works perfectly and is very quick to set up. The orange cover is still useable because the silicone is so pliable.

Wazzu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
Wazzu said:
Thanks, guys!

The PGI-9 cartridge cant be refilled using the German refill or top refill method either;
it can only be refilled from the ink outlet.

The PGI-9 cartridge is very simple to empty the ink out of,
by just squeezing the sides gently while holding it over a waste container.

To refill these cartridges properly youll need to read up on the several methods
that are currently been used to do this, purging is covered also.

There are several little tools available that will help make the refilling procedure faster and easier,
so it would be wise to check them out or make one yourself,
the PGI9 cartridge is the easiest cartridge of all Canon cartridges to refill.

http://www.precisioncolors.com/Refilling the Canon PGI.pdf
http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/InkClip9-%2d-PGI%2d9-Refilling-Adapter.html
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=48202#p48202
-----------
Thanks, Hat! I may have incorrectly named my refilling method. I'm just dripping ink onto the sponge with a needle. As I said, it's been awhile since I refilled, and I have only done it once or twice prior. I need to print more so I get more accustomed to this. :)

Wazzu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:
Want a quick way to extract the wrong ink? Take one of the orange covers. Use a pushpin and pierce the rubber stopper all the way though the rubber AND the orange plastic from the rubber side.
Take the cover and from the plastic side, put a needle through the hole and rubber until it just comes out of the rubber. Snap the cover onto the cartridge. Attach the syringe and draw the ink out. Repeat as necessary. When you have extracted all you can, and do it slowly, you will see the window is flat against the side of the cartridge. Now remove the the needle.

Refill as normal. Don't worry about the extra wrong ink left inside if it is a magenta -pm mixup. The silicone rubber provides an airtight seal around the needle. Works perfectly and is very quick to set up. The orange cover is still useable because the silicone is so pliable.
-----
This is great! Thank you! :)

I do think I will just put in the PM ink after getting the majority of the magenta out.