Official Poll: How Do You Refill Your Inkjet Printer Cartridge?

Which Refill Method Do You Use?

• "Traditional" refill from top of cartridge (either existing or new refill hole)

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • "German Method"

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Continuous Flow / Ink System

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Other (please reply to thread with details)

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

DustMite

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610, Brother HL-2270DW
I use the German method on my MX850. It has worked well so far.

paulcroft

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
I started with the 'german' method when I had an i9100 with BCI-6 tanks and I continued this way when I replaced the i9100 with a Pro9000 II with its CLI-8 tanks. Then I started to get a problem with a couple of tanks - if I tried to refill them before they were empty the ink started to come out of the outlet hole before the tank was full. If I dribbled the ink in very slowly this helped but then sometimes it started to run into the space above the top of the upper sponge. I couldn't work out why this happened so I decided I would see if flushing the tanks helped and, to do this properly, I decided to remove the balls from the tops of the ink chambers. Flushing worked, and it also showed me that, with a silicone plug where the ball had been, it was a really easy job to top fill and there would, also, never be a problem with ink coming out of the outlet hole before the chamber was full. I have now flushed all my tanks, filled the 'german' refill holes with hot glue, and I now topfill. It's quick, it's clean and, in the back of my mind, I am comforted to know that the OEM tanks are now functioning as Canon designed them to work.

WISVET5951

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I used top fill until I learned the German method for my Canon 4200, for some reason the PG cartridge plugged up the printer head and its replacement. I tried cleaning with alcohol, hot water with poor results, so now I have a MX890 for which I am use compatible cartridges. When they run out I will return to the German method.

GeekStyle59

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Top fill on the Epson 1400 and Artisan 725 using refillable (spongeless) carts purchased from mikling. It works well for me and I no longer get ink on my fingers at all.

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
German method for me now over 2 years. I also fill for two other people who do a ton of printing. I fill with squeeze bottles with sharp needles. In the beginning I tried to squeeze to fast and had a couple of accidents. Had to pace myself when I was filling more than 5 sets at a time I get impatient. I use alum duct tape to seal hole only because sometimes these carts sit around for awhile, so to be on the safe side I try and seal the hole. I have a 1/4 " dia hole punch I use for cutting out discs from the alum tape. Clean the whole with a little of Lacquer thinner on a cue tip and then peel and stick the disk. Use my finger nail to press the tape in place until I can see an imprint of the drilled hole to ensure the seal. All my drilled holes are deburred by using a large drill and had spinning it a couple of revs to chanfer the edge. Then a small file to remove any extra burrs. I also use a small postal scale so I can fill each cart to make sure I don't over fill or under fill. Oh yeah I forgot, I reset all the chips first before I start to refill.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
German method for me now over 2 years. I also fill for two other people who do a ton of printing.
Since you refill for 2 other people then you should get THREE votes for the Durchstich method. :D

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
I use both top fill and German. I have more carts drilled for German and originally found it quick clean and easy. However after several poor cart feeding issues I went back to top fill. So for me it would be 75% German 25% top fill. I note some users sealed the German hole and reverted back to top fill, however my attempts with hot glue (typical universal craft type) was not very good and I was still getting some leaks from that area.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
... I note some users sealed the German hole and reverted back to top fill, however my attempts with hot glue (typical universal craft type) was not very good and I was still getting some leaks from that area.

When I sealed the "german" hole with hot glue: the cartridge was dry, the gun tip was on the hole (the plastic melted a little) and I injected the glue so it sealed from the inside out. Never got a leak.The hot glue was from Bison

Latest posts