OfficeMax BCI-3e/6 cartridges

rehardwick

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just got some OfficeMax BCI-3e/6 cartridges made in Mexico. They are not transparent plastic, but solid gray colored plastic. I am afraid to use them, doesn't the printer check ink level through the plastic?

Forsurchi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yes it does check it with a beam of light. The light enters thru the bottom of the cartridge.

aman74

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have the i950. I thought the ink gauge was just an estimate from the time you replaced it.

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I've used many inkjet cartridges made of non transparent plastic and haven't had any problems

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
All you have to do to see if the sensor is working is hold one of the cartridges in your hand upside down and look at where the transparent window should be. Then tip the cartridge forward and back and see if the window changes in brightness. Try it first with an almost full transparent cartridge to see what you are looking for and then try it with the gray one. If the window doesn't work with the gray cartridge, you can still use it and after a time, the level sensor will tell you it's half full (this is based on the ink used for that color). At that point, you can put in an empty cartridge with a working window and that will make the sensor show low, then put back in your gray cartridge which will make it show full. Then the next time it shows half full, it will be low and you can replace it. But I'm betting the window will work correctly and you won't have to do this process.