Nozzles Epson 9880

Michael Messner3

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 9880
My 9880 has two missing nozzles on the tests. 2 yellow segments are missing. I replaced Capping top, wiper blade, tried Windex on J-Cloths, and Magic Bullet. Prints look fine but the missing nozzles annoy. I am thinking about removing the damper and shooting 2 ML of Magic Bullet directly into the head gently. My other option is to just keep printing and replace the head if it becomes necesary. Any ideas?
Nozzles001.jpg

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Do the missing nozzles remain at the same place after you do an arbitrary printout and then another nozzle check ?
Since when do you observe that problem ?
If the nozzles are moving around you rather may have a problem with the ink flow. What type of and cartridges are you using - Epson or 3rd party or refill ? As I remember correctly this printer model air pressurizes the cartridges slightly during printing to ease the ink flow and compensate for pressure changes in the ink tubes when the head is moving back and forth - with or against the ink flow.
Are you firm to get to the printhead and inject the cleaner directly - do you have a mainentance manual available ? It may make sense to replace the damper at this time anyway , they are available at rather low cost via Aliexpress from China.

Michael Messner3

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 9880
Same two nozzles every time. I have replaced dampers, capping top and wiper. I do have the field service manual. It is fairly easy to get to the ink inputs on the head, I could easily inject a ml or two of Magic Bullet into the yellow channel. I just don't want to destroy the head. I have thought about buying an ultrasonic cleaner but have heard that this will destroy the head. Thanks for your input so far. Mike

Attachments

• Nozzles001.jpg
    Nozzles001.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 280

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
and shooting 2 ML of Magic Bullet directly into the head gently
that's a method used as well on desktop printers; I did it several times, sometimes with success, but not always. I would recommend to pull first a small amount of air and residual ink, you don't know if the clog could pass the nozzle at all, and then push and pull several times. And if it does not work you just may continue to print as long as those missing nozzles don't cause a problem on your printouts , and monitor the situation if more nozzles are dropping out.

Last edited:

Michael Messner3

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 9880
that's a method used as well on desktop printers; I did it several times, sometimes with success, but not always. I would recommend to pull first a small amount of air and residual ink, you don't know if the clog could pass the nozzle at all, and then push and pull several times. And if it does not work you just may continue to print as long as those missing nozzles don't cause a problem on your printouts , and monitor the situation if more nozzles are dropping out.
It is the same. I am thinking today I will remove the damper assembly and try the magic bullet. I have been thinking about buying a set of cleaning cartridges, and putting them in for our next trip away. https://www.inkowl.com/wide-format/...tridges-for-epson-stylus-pro-7880-9880/P8302/ I can buy empty ones and put some solution in them. I am worried that the magic bullet injection might kill the head. I haven't heard of that happening. I would be very gentle pushing the plunger down on the syringe.

Michael Messner3

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 9880
Well I tried the magic bullet a couple of times. I am now back where I was after some cleanings. Still 2 blocked nozzles on the yellow. I guess that's how it is. Maybe at some point I will replace the head if it gets worse or upgrade to a new printer. Very low volume of printing these days. Thanks for the help and support.

Michael Messner3

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 9880
Well it has gotten better. I have one yellow nozzle clogged now, just one! I do a check every morning. I was thinking if I could put some ammonia in the maintenance tank under the head. I thought the fumes might dissolve the remaining nozzle clog. Still my prints look great!