Nozzle check Epson XP-342: black color always missing the exact same segments

jacktheprinter

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP-342

My Epson XP-342 is not printing correctly since a couple of weeks ago. Whenever I perform a nozzle check and print a test page, the color segments are perfectly fine but the black are always missing the exact same segments. In fact, if I print over the same printed test again, the black missing segments are still there.

I cleaned the heads thoroughly with a cleaning solution using a siringe and placing a blotting paper below the heads, until no more black ink was coming out from the head and the blotting paper was just absorbing the cleaning solution. I even let the solution in place for the whole night. I tried using both Epson original cartridges and compatible ones, but always the same exact segments are missing. I already wasted like a couple of cartridges doing that.

Lastly, I thought that the problem could be related to the electrical contacts, so I cleaned them with an air spray, but once again, after several nozzle auto cleanings, nothing changed.

Does anybody know what's the problem of my printer?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
how much are you printing - at a low level - now and then - or frequently/regularly ? what type of cartridges are you using - Epson OEM or ??

jacktheprinter

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP-342
I haven't printer for a month before this issue occurred. I mostly use compatible brands, sometimes Epson cartridges. Now I have Epson but I have completely depleted them by performing like 15 head cleanings

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I haven't printer for a month before this issue occurred.
If I understand you correctly you didn't print for a month - this is quite a typical cause for clogged nozzles - specifically with pigment inks which are more prone to clogging in lot of cases. You apparently did already a strong cleaning already - a printhead flushing which couldn't restore all nozzles back to working condition. The last option would be a printhead replacement but the price may exceed the price for a new printer. There is a work around possible - select glossy paper in your driver and give it a try whether you like the printout - test it with different quality settings , but it will print slower than normal - there are less nozzles for the colored inks than for the black ink, and black will be mixed from the CMY colors.