non OEM 550/551 cartridges with ARC chips

iml

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip5000
Hi
I' ve been reading about these for a year now at some threads and I got confused

1) By "ARC chips reseting when you power down the printer" do you mean turning the printer-off from the button or pulling the ac-plug? Will software power-down the printer keep the chips from reseting themselves?
Likewise, if by a power shortage a chip resets midway will the Cartridge prism still warn the user when the ink is low?

2) are there old and NEW (inteligent) ARC chips in the market?
From what I could understand the inteligent ones supposedly keep the remaining number of pages even at power down and only reset when you pull the Cartridge away when the empty message is shown.
That would be convenient.

I'm asking these because I got used to refil my old ip5000 (OEM cartridges) from the no chips era and after my second printhead failure (six months old) I am strongly thinking of buying a decent priced MG6450 for replacement. Unfortunately the last printhead was a waste of Money.

3) Can you please point me -even by pm- to some reliable cartridges with ARC chips (preferably the "inteligent" ones if they do exist)?
The review of the bundle sold by octoinkjet suggests that "...The chips reset to full each time I power off the printer"

If all the above are wishfull thinking and it is so inconvenient to use 550/551 cartridges
4) Would you suggest to find a more filling-friendly printer brand?

Last edited: