No more refillables allowed on larger Epsons?

W. Fisher

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epsons, Canons, Brother.
Got this email from Inkjetmall on any Epson SureColor printer larger than the 13" P-600 having been made to prevent any 3rd party ink carts from being used in their newest printers 17" and up.

"Epson claims that they have been designed not to work with other brands of cartridges. If you bought a P800 or larger thinking you could use them with your choice of inks - it looks doubtful at this point - even changing out the encoder board and soldering in one that bypasses the chips does not work. The anti-3rd party cart detection is very complex in these printers.."

Guess I need to hold onto the older things as long as I can. Maybe try and move to Canon unless they too have gotten into the "Nothing else but our stuff" mood.

Fisher

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
that's about the information 3rd party ink suppliers give to their customers in this case, or post on their internet pages. You either look for those models currently phased out - e.g. 3880 , get a spare unit etc or accept Epson's policy in case you need a particular function of these new Surecolor Pxxxx models which were not available in the previous models. Inks at least are available for the P600, and could be used with profiles on other models as well like the 3880 or 4800 etc. And if Epson can block out 3rd party inks other companies should be able, technically, to implement a similar approach into their newer models as well.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Guess I need to hold onto the older things as long as I can. Maybe try and move to Canon unless they too have gotten into the "Nothing else but our stuff" mood.

Fisher

With the promotions Canon has on their Pro-100 and Pro-10 these days, you will regret the opportunity when the train leaves the station.

Hector Vilches

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
R2000, 3880, PRO-100, PRO-10
Maybe I have it all wrong, but if there's money to be made by figuring out how to fool the printer into using non-genuine, someone will figure it out.

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hmmmmpf....if 3rd party inks can not be used - 3rd party ink companies/sellers in the long run will also phase out.

Here I also think Epson is biting it's own foot - fewer will buy their products.

As a prove of that - I and many with me bought 3880's although the Surecolors was out there. :)))
Now I'm reading the Forum here carefully about problems with the 3880s - to order spare parts for future use!
For example I have already bought the whole inksupply unit and now I'm looking for dead or killed 3880s in the ads.

Prepared? Never if pure voodoo hits the printer!

My hope is that Epson looks at their coming red figures - concludes going back to "normal" again but let us pay a lot more for the very printer. Epson is a company - all companies must make money one or the other way.

Hey - we like their products as long as we can use them - our way!

As a hobbyist - I like to print my own prints - however looking at it - I might have done cheaper if letting others do it for me.
But that is like letting others taking my photos as well!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
something is in the works http://precisioncolors.com/Epson_789_color.html
all these activities to circumvent the chip functionality one way or another - ARC chips - resetter - etc just will take longer. And I guess - with the next generation - those cartridge chips will reach smartcard intelligence and the FBI won't be able anymore to crack them.....

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
....ore worse... pay Epson for a code monthly .....to make the printer operational .....
Let's say $15/month with coupons and all.

Now I will put needles in that very doll here and repeat "Epson".
Voodoo works!

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hmmm...

...please keep me contacted when all chip problems are gone and those printers are fit for fight and - can stand some static electricity.

I might go back to Kodachrome and a slide projector - that WAS THE TIMES!
Large Format in almost every home!

/berserk