Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
I saw this posted on the Sony Creative Software (Vegas Pro) forum:

To Our Valued Business Partners:
June 11, 2015
Business Withdrawal by Victor Advanced Media Co., Ltd. and Subsidiaries
Victor Advanced Media Co., Ltd. hereby announces that it has decided to withdraw from all businesses including the recording media business as explained in detail below.

Victor Advanced Media Co., Ltd. and all of our associates would like to take this opportunity to express our heartfelt appreciation for your long-lasting support. We are truly grateful for your business.

1. Reasons behind the business withdrawal
Victor Advanced Media has developed businesses centered on optical recording media. As the larger storage capacity of hard disc drives (HDDs) and the
use of cloud computing is driving changing market conditions, the market for optical media products has been diminishing. Due to the decline in demand in recent years and market outlook it has become increasingly difficult to expect improvement in the future business environment.

Amid such circumstances and consistent with the policies of our parent company, TAIYO YUDEN CO., LTD., we have decided to withdraw from our businesses in their entirety.

2. Affected companies
1) Victor Advanced Media Co., Ltd.
2) JVC Advanced Media U.S.A. Inc. (U.S. sales subsidiary)
3) JVC Advanced Media EUROPE GmbH (European sales subsidiary)
4) JVC Advanced Media (Tianjin) Co., Ltd. (Chinese sales subsidiary)

3. Future schedule
Our sales activities are scheduled to be terminated in December 2015.

Sincerely yours,
Hiroki Okamatsu
President and Representative Director
Victor Advanced Media Co., Ltd.
####################################################

Supplies are said to be available into 2016 but I've already seen my supplier increase the price 30 cents (US) per disc.

It looks like I'll have to find a replacement for the JVC/TY Watershield DVDs I've been using. Falcon Smart Guard DVDs have been recommended as a replacement.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
It is a sad day. Taiyo Yuden, MAde in Japan, has been top of the mountain for years. I used them near exclusively. Video may have killed the radio star, but solid state/flash drives and the internet have killed CD/DVDs.

Have many TY, JVC, and Falcon disks, a handful of Verbatim and a couple of stinkeroo's. The Made In UAE Falcons DVDs were tremendous for both data integrity and printable surface, but this was several years ago and I do not know what they are like nowadays.

Time to buy up some TY and store in in a cool, dry, dark place -- like your favorite aftermarket ink or a printer and print head.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
So the days of sifting through my dvds to choose some muzac are like the cassette, drawing to a close.......to be replaced with a medium sized cloud that we will never own......
And mindless millions are running headlong into that cloud blissfully unaware........

Now we download from? Via??? Onto what???

Last edited:

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
So I just bought a 50 disc spindle of the Falcon Media Smart Guard DVD-R discs per the recommendation.

Compared to the Watershields, they have a whiter face with just slightly less of a mirror gloss to them. I've only printed 15 discs so far. They print with a little more contrast and the images appear to be somewhat sharper.

So far, from a printing standpoint, I'm very happy with the Smart Guards.

I produce about 200 discs a year so time will tell how well they burn.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil