no black color printing, IT WASN'T the PRINTHEAD !!

shadowc

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello to all
I need a little help here.
I have a Canon MP 600 and one month ago my PGI 5BK stopped printing. I guessed it was clogged ( it happened with the magenta color before and i fixed it) but none of the metods worked.
Recently, i bought a new original CANON printhead ( with 60 euros :() and i installed it today. But...surprise, it's not working. I printed several times nozzle check pattern, and it's showing all the colours correct, besides the first up, pgi5BK. What could be the problem ?

Please help me with some advice here:|

Gooneybird

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You didn't say how you fixed it before, so I can't comment too reliably. But two years ago I thought the print head was bad on my Canon i950 and began trying to clean it. All my cleaning did in fact ruin the print head, so I bought a new one then. (Just to be safe, I bought and used all new ink cartridges then too.) Some months ago, I began having a similar problem again, and this time with the help of several on this forum, I discovered the problem was one of the cartridges itself. The Photo Magenta seems to be a very troublesome item in the BCI-6 series, so you might give consideration to such a situation, even though the evidence may not point that way.

Olin

shadowc

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I replaced all the cartridges with new ones when i installed the new head print ! Same problem like the old headprint, no PGI 5BK printing... What could it be? :(
Didn't anyone encounter this problem?

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I might be wrong, however, the logic board on the printer is probably bad, the only way to be sure is to have a authorized Canon repair facility check it out.

shadowc

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Just found out the problem..:| I tried selecting anything else than plain paper (ex photo paper pro, photo paper glossy) and it prints even documents. I don;t know if the color it uses is pgi5BK or CLI8BK. What do you people think about that?
Is it something in the soft of the printer? Or some hardware?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Plain paper uses the pigment black (PGI5BK). All photo papers use the dye black (CLI8BK). Your problem has not been solved.

The problem may be a clog in your peristaltic pump. Put some Windex on the pad off to the right where the print head parks and put some on the screen on the top of the print head where the cartridge sits, then do a head cleaning followed by a nozzle check. Repeat several times until it starts working or until you are sure this is not the problem.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
My last printhead did not print pigmented black when I bought it from the US but after a deep cleaning it did.

How did your printer stop printinng black? If it happened suddenly, it could be a problem in the electronics or probably the cleaning pump as ghwellsjr pointed.

What kind of inks are you using? Did you try using original Canon inks?

shadowc

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
It stopped printing step by step ( first in fast mode, then in standard mode and then blank).
I tried :
1. cleaning
2. deep cleaning
3. above couple of times
4. a new oem cartridge of pgi5BK
5. a new cleaning and deep cleaning
6. resetting the mp600 to the factory defaults
7. finally a new headprint :( which is not working and is driving me crazy..

The nozzle check shows all colours , besides the column of pgi5BK which is totally blank.

Today, i opened the mp600..but without a service manual, i'm totally lost. How can i unclog the peristaltic pump( and where is this thing)? if the clog is there?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You clean the pump by putting Windex (or just water if you can't get any Windex) on the pad the head rests on when it is parked. Actually, there are two pads and two pumps, one for the pigment black ink and one for all of the dye inks. When you do a head cleaning from your computer, it will offer you the choice of cleaning either one or both.

Take a flash light and open your printer. When the head stops at the center, shine the light off to the right where the head parks. You will see two black pads that look like dense foam rubber. The larger one on the right is for the dye inks. The smaller one on the left is for the pigment black. It may be partially hidden but once you identify it, you will have no problem finding it again.

Use a syringe, if you have one, or an eye dropper or just a straw to deposit the Windex. Don't worry about splashing extra Windex around. It won't hurt to put Windex on both pads but you will save dye ink if you only clean the pigment black ink.

Good luck. Let us know how it works or if you have any more questions.