Newer Canon models: IP3500 and IP4500. Watch out !!!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Canon is introducing several "new" models on the market like the IP3500 and the IP4500. But watch out, apart from a more flashier look and maybe a little bit more printing speed and extra blabla, they are technically the same like the older IP3300 and the IP4300.

However. It seems that Canon is mimicking Epson by changing the firmware in their printers. Epson has recently changed the firmware in their latest fabricated printers making the usage of alternative chipcartridges useless or very difficult the work with. Fortunately the alternative manufacturers are catching up and are introducing newer chips on the carts, making them to work on the newer Epson printers. Jettec is one of the few, who are able to catch up with Epson's attempt to re-encrypt their carts. It's look like a everlasting battle....

So -according to druckerchannel.de- that the famous Geha/Armor tuning kit (which itself has a very high cost of ownership only slightly cheaper than using original carts) doesn't work on the newer IP3500 or the IP4500 printer. I'm wondering if anyone has already tried the resetted G&G CLI-8 refilled carts on those newer models. The chances are very high, those resetted carts might not work at all..... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Not surprised at all that they've shifted the goal posts on the chips and printer firmware... In truth I've never really felt that they were completely unreasonable in wanting to ensure they didn't have to handle warranty replacement for every user who used the wrong or crap quality ink.

In truth my main concern is whether they've left the status quo in place ie: allowing continued use of printer with non-standard inks (so long as you accept the responsibility) or removed that completely. My guess is that the original rule still applies but it'd be nice to have confirmation.