newbie looking for an a3 printer that can print on card

Alistair

kickbox
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson
Hi,I don't know very much about printers but I need one that can print on thick card paper and was wondering what kind of price would I be looking at for a printer that can print on card?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
card - how thick ? an Epson SC-P600 can do up to 1.3mm. Far beyond that you are leaving the
range of standard printers in terms of their paper handling capabilities

Alistair

kickbox
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson
Hi thank you for the quick reply.
I don't even need the card to be that thick....I measured the thickness of the card and it is around 0.5mm.
I am unsure of how thick the gsm would be.
I might be better trying to pick up some examples of different gsm papers and then look.
Unfortunately at that price it's way out of my league but that is a great price for printing at that thickness.
Im hoping to get an A3 printer that can print on card for £200 max but the cheaper the better as I won't be needing to do it much.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Any of the Pro Canon A3 printers will print on heavy card stock, you can have the choice of dye or pigment inks, there expensive but you get what you pay for, good quality..

Alistair

kickbox
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson
Any of the Pro Canon A3 printers will print on heavy card stock, you can have the choice of dye or pigment inks, there expensive but you get what you pay for, good quality..
Again ,way too expensive but an excellent price for a printer of that quality.

Alistair

kickbox
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson
I have ordered two examples of paper weight one @ 160 gsm and one @300gsm so I can get a better idea of what printer to go for.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
300gr is about a typical photopaper, not cardboard, such paper would run easily on an Epson 1500W. One rather important question is about the ink - pigment or dye - that would depend as well on the use of the printouts - exposure to light/UV, and whether it is planned to use refill and 3rd party inks or to stay with the manufacturer's inks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Here are the latest printer prices in the UK, and their enough to want to make you weep when you think of the prices the same printers are going for in the US, I reckon ridiculous just about covers it.

Printers.jpg

300 gm photo paper would run through just about any normal printer but is a lot lighter in stiffness than the same equivalent matte board stock, so bear that in mind..

Alistair

kickbox
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson
Hi,300gsm would probably do me but I'd much prefer 350gsm.
So ideally I am looking for preferably an A3 printer that can print on 350gsm.
The Quality doesn't have to be absolutely superb.
I was originally looking at the
Epson WorkForce WF-7110DTW
but it only does 64 g/m² - 256 g/m².

So thats no good for me.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
What exactly do you mean by 350 gm. stock, is it Matte card or Photo card because all of the above machines will run 350 gm. Photo stock without any difficulties ?

Smaller desktop printers tend to labour while trying to print on heavier stock and will wear out and fail because there not designed for that type of work..