newbie here (and i mean really new)

AlienSteve

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 3000CP Epson 1280 4800 7600
The spring loaded valve just inside the ink outlet, in that tube, is held open when the ink spike is inserted. It is only meant to close when the cartridge is removed from the printer, and is not part of any regulation.

The "drum" is a feed/pressure regulating diaphram. It's not there to avoid backflow, it's there to prevent ink from flowing forward until the print head provides a slight negative pressure by drawing ink out.

H is also connected to E and F, but Mikling's instructions do show the pinhole in the tube between E and F on the other side from H. Putting the pinhole in E instead of the space between E and F does increase the potential for getting ink into the air inlet valve.

I'm not sure what you are calling a damper. Normally the "Damper" only has meaning in a bulk feed system, where the part that takes the part of the cartridge is called a damper.

I agree with you about conversion to CIS. Poke a hole in B and seal that riser tube shut, feed ink into the top compartment. Hm... it is advisable to have some air in the damper to act as a spring. In this type of cartridge, the plastic flexible film on the side can take the place of this, but sealing the hole B omits half this film. So another method is to cut out H or the space between E and F and fill with sealer such as hot glue. Still feed ink in through the top. But then that ink in the bottom compartment never gets used... Maybe I'm overthinking.

I am going to build a CIS for my R200, and to save money on parts I'm thinking of ordering Autoreset chips 9to6 and just modding my existing Epson OEM cartridges.

Because of the diaphram's regulating action, I expect I'll find the "sweet spot" for ink level will be a little higher than I normally set it.

snoopy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
AlienSteve said:
The spring loaded valve just inside the ink outlet, in that tube, is held open when the ink spike is inserted. It is only meant to close when the cartridge is removed from the printer, and is not part of any regulation.
oh i thought it would continuosly open and close during the printing and it would stay otherwise closed when the printer was off avoiding ink coming out, my mistake.

AlienSteve said:
The "drum" is a feed/pressure regulating diaphram. It's not there to avoid backflow, it's there to prevent ink from flowing forward until the print head provides a slight negative pressure by drawing ink out.
Yep i got it wrong the way i was thinking it.

H is also connected to E and F, but Mikling's instructions do show the pinhole in the tube between E and F on the other side from H. Putting the pinhole in E instead of the space between E and F does increase the potential for getting ink into the air inlet valve.
it actually its on H ;) in mikling picture its right under that plastic "spike" thing out the cartridge above the chip plastic block thingy(wow im great with the terminology), its too high to be in between E and F, but then in this way it solves the air problem maybe?
But thats Mikling work, he got that method and it works fine, he is the one that should look at it eventually, i dont really have the right to put my nose in that.

I'm not sure what you are calling a damper. Normally the "Damper" only has meaning in a bulk feed system, where the part that takes the part of the cartridge is called a damper.
Sorry im not at all there with the terminology, and im sure you noticed english isnt even my first language, sorry if im hard to understand. I call it this way because thats the way it was called at the beginning thats all, im referring to the big round thing, the diaphram and all its apparatus there.

I agree with you about conversion to CIS. Poke a hole in B and seal that riser tube shut, feed ink into the top compartment. Hm... it is advisable to have some air in the damper to act as a spring. In this type of cartridge, the plastic flexible film on the side can take the place of this, but sealing the hole B omits half this film. So another method is to cut out H or the space between E and F and fill with sealer such as hot glue. Still feed ink in through the top. But then that ink in the bottom compartment never gets used... Maybe I'm overthinking..
the way it works you could feed from the bottom compartment then, there is always ink down there but its never the same it keeps renewing.
I know that at this point we went out of the refilling concept, its just that something that doesnt need to pull out the cartridges, reset them, make some mess with the ink maybe sound just too good to not give a try to, but who im kidding, ill be quite enjoying those 15 minutes over the sink to refill the carts

AlienSteve

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
I looked at it again, for the 10th time and you are correct! Mikling's hole -is- into the H compartment. I kept seeing the long depression in his picture, and looking at the H compartment in your leftmost picture and wasn't looking for the backside of the H compartment. My mistake.

Thank you very much for doing such an extensive anatomy of a cartridge.

AlienSteve

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Snoopy, may I use your image? I'd like to put that image and our combined writeups on one of my tutorials pages.