New to refilling, where to start

letter photography

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I own a photography business and I'm starting to realize the cost efficiency of refilling my own ink. I print using a canon pixma pro9500 and from my experience with knock offs, I haven't been to satisfied with non OEM replacement inks.

If I'm going to start refilling my ink, I'm looking for some info on the best replacements for PGI-9 ink that are identical to OEM. After I find ink do I need to buy a set of refillable cartridges?

Any info getting me started on refilling my PGI-9 cartridges would be greatly appreciated.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You have a very specialized printer in that it uses pigment inks, ten altogether. The only link I could find to a source of compatible inks is here.

I don't know if you can use the same refill techniques that are used for Canon dye ink cartridges but if you can, I would recommend the German method.

There is also the problem of a chip resetter. I don't think there is one that works with all the cartridges in your printer.

Hopefully, someone with experience refilling this printer will post their experience.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
letter photography

If you are going down the road of refilling, then stick with the original PGI-9 cartridges.
Replacement cartridges tend to starve the print head of ink after a dozen sheets or so (my experience anyway).
You will also need a resetter for the chips and even then the black & grey cant be reset at present.
I believe that there are auto reset chips available but I found that disabling the ink monitoring a better option for these two cartridges.
The way I found to refill the PGI-9 cartridges successfully was to drill a hole in the bottom and reseal it with hot wax, as the only other hole in this special cartridge is the ink outlet.
The PGI-9's are as easy to fill as any other Canon cartridge, with little or no spillage at all.
As for ink I use Efillink.com in the US.. :)

letter photography

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Thanks for suggestions that was exactly what I was hoping for.
I do plan on going down the road of refilling because it does become a hassle with constantly buying new ink. I print mostly grey scale which as you can imagine, eats tons of grey cartridges a month. What if I chose to purchase OEM grey and black but refill the other colors as necessary, Will the refillable inks transition smoothly with the oem inks, or will bronzing occur?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
letter photography

That's what I am using at the moment with no problems, as I still have a couple of grey OEM cartridges left.. :)

siusiuenen

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
letter photography

If you are going down the road of refilling, then stick with the original PGI-9 cartridges.
Replacement cartridges tend to starve the print head of ink after a dozen sheets or so (my experience anyway).
You will also need a resetter for the chips and even then the black & grey cant be reset at present.
I believe that there are auto reset chips available but I found that disabling the ink monitoring a better option for these two cartridges.
The way I found to refill the PGI-9 cartridges successfully was to drill a hole in the bottom and reseal it with hot wax, as the only other hole in this special cartridge is the ink outlet.
The PGI-9's are as easy to fill as any other Canon cartridge, with little or no spillage at all.
As for ink I use Efillink.com in the US.. :)
Could you tell me where'r you get the chips resetter for this cart ?
The only one i found cost $360 and it from China. Thanks

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
If you're doing a lot of grayscale printing why not get a separate black and white printer like the Epson workforce 1100? It's not not B&W per se, what you can do is get a CISS system and convert it to black and white by filling the black with black and filling the color carts with refill gray ink. This makes a fantastic black and white printer with excellent adjustability. Can't say I'd know too much about the bronzing problem but that tends to be a problem with pigment black ink. Carbon black just has a natural warm tint to it.

I say separate the B&W tasks because every time you start a print job you waste a little of all the colors as the printer turns on, and inevitably cleans and primps itself to get ready for the print job. And 10 colors can get pricey. Why waste the color when you print B&W?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
siusiuenen

I got my resetter from Efillink for about $20 + p&p.. :)

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
The pro 9500 is probably not the best printer to begin refilling. It is very expensive, it uses pigment ink. And there isn't a wealth of information or supplies available on this printer like many others.

I would suggest trying your hand at a less expensive printer first then do a lot of research and come back to the pro9500.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
RMM The pro 9500 is probably not the best printer to begin refilling. It is very expensive,
I will have to take the opposite side to you on that one, I found that its as easy to refill those cartridges as any other and very inexpensive for printing compared with Canon inks @ $160 a refill.. :(