New to laser printers

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So far, I have always owned inkjet printers from Canon, my latest being the MX922 which I refill using Precision Colors inks.
The printer has recently thrown the B200 error, although I was able to reset it, I fear it will be unusable soon.

I realize it is becoming more and more difficult to find inkjet printers that can be easily refilled.
Tank printers do not appear to be for me as in my family, during the summer the printer would not be used for weeks, and clogging would be a headache.

My daughter is the one who is mostly using the printer, university student, say, 5 pages a day as average.
I was thinking to switch to a laser color printer.
Bear in mind, that I do not do photographic printing, so colors do not have to be high quality, is purely to have the possibility to print in colors from time to time on plain paper.

The new printer must have an ethernet port. (difficult to find inkjets with ethernet, unless you go to the high range models).

How about toner replacement? Are there reliable aftermarket toners that can be used?

Any advice is very welcome!

Thank you,
Alex

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Any advice is very welcome!
As we say to anyone who’s old MX series printer is dying, try a Maxify, it can do all the things your MX922 did and can be even better, there are several models to choose from, depending how deep your pockets are.. Worth checking out..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Worth checking out..
Indeed it is.

OP commented that

during the summer the printer would not be used for weeks, and clogging would be a headache.
How long have you left your Maxify sit without use and not had an issue?

Have you ever had a clog?

The longest mine has gone idle is about 2 weeks, not long at all. I never had an issue with a clog and wouldn't expect one at that rate. I also have been using only OEM inks so far.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
How long have you left your Maxify sit without use and not had an issue?
Have you ever had a clog?
My Maxify was left for weeks on end (Occasionally) when I was using my iP4500 and it usually had a few blocked nozzles on start up, but that was with I.S. inks, and a quick clean solved the issue, but it never clogged once when I was using OEM inks….
It also developed a Canon fatal error when a onetime compatible chip went rouge, changing to Arc’s fixed the issue.. troublesome it’s not but it has wobbled a few times when messing with it.:hide.

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thank you all for your valuable comments.

I spent hours evaluating the Maxify series before writing my post in this area, but the only one that supports ethernet connectivity is the iB4120.
I have always bought my inks from Precision Colors, but they do not supply a refill kit for PGI-2200 carts, and I suspect there is a valid reason behind this.

Do you have any alternative to PC in terms of selling refill kits, like, empty cats + inks?

Alex

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I have always bought my inks from Precision Colors, but they do not supply a refill kit for PGI-2200 carts
My understanding is the Presicion Colors 1200 inks are used with the 2200 line as well. Ask the owner/operator and forum member @mikling for clarification.

I spent hours evaluating the Maxify series before writing my post in this area, but the only one that supports ethernet connectivity is the iB4120.
My Maxify MB5120 has an ethernet port on the back. The lower cost MB2720 also has an ethernet port. Maybe other models in the line also have an ethernet port, too. :idunno

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Stratman,

I was misled by the Canadian eStore, when you filter by Ethernet, it only shows one printer with an ethernet port, but in reality, you are right, the MB2720 has also got the ethernet port.
Now, PC shows two Maxify printers for which they provide refill kits: MB2020 and MB2320
However, it seems to me that the carts are the same as the MB2720.

I already asked Mike via email, but I got no response so far, I will try here with a private message.

Thank you!
Alex

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
PC shows two Maxify printers for which they provide refill kits: MB2020 and MB2320
However, it seems to me that the carts are the same as the MB2720.
Yes, they all use the PGI-1200 cartridges based on their respective Canon web pages.

I have family and a friend that use the MB2720 (two paper trays) or MB2120 (one paper tray) and all are happy. All use OEM ink. They purchased the XL cartridges to replace the setup cartridges, providing a substantial increase in ink volume. The Maxify's are refillable and there are ARC chips available.

I purchased the MB5120 because it uses the larger capacity PGI-2500 cartridge (I bought the larger volume XL OEM replacements) and it does automatic duplex when using the ADF (Automatic Document Feeder). The price, fortunately, was also comparable to its MB2xxx siblings at that time.

As our fearless Moderator The Hat is wont to say: Horses for courses.

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just to let you know that I placed an order with Canon Canada, they had the MB2720 on sale and the offer expires today.

Thank you very much for your help, I have been part of this community for many years and always got good advice. :)

My i865 gave me 15 years of troublefree printing, what a machine was that!
Looking at my MX922, it may or may not last too long, I do not know, but definitely is not like the i860/865.
Hopefully, the MB2720 will last longer! :)

Thank you all and stay safe!

Alex

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Congratulations on the purchase of your new printer. :woot

Please let us know how the two of you are getting along. :pop