New printer needed.

sportflyer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
MX 850 it is ! Now I have several unused tubes of BCI 5 and BKI inks that I suppose I will have to dispose :( Thanks so much for all the info.

sportflyer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Guys , I got the MX 850 today for $150 at Staples ! I have installed the printer as a network printer and everything is working fine.

Here is my question: After installing the print head and inkwells , the printer goes through an automatic head alignment sequence. It took a bit of time but the end point is very good. Canon provided head alignment paper called MP101 ( Canon Matt Photo Paper) They only provide 4 sheets( good for 2 head alignment procedures because it uses 2 sheets per alignment process) and they are rather thicker than normal printing paper. Do I need to use this type of paper for subsequent head alignment process when ever I change the inkwells or can I use ordinary print paper. TKs

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Odd that no one here mentions the AIO MP 530. These are still plentiful at Canadian wholesalers and sell wholesale for $60.00 right now.This model also uses the same 5 pgi-5 and cli-8 carts and has an ADF. This is a real bargain these days.

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
sportflyer said:
Do I need to use this type of paper for subsequent head alignment process when ever I change the inkwells or can I use ordinary print paper. TKs
It's the first time I heard of them giving this paper for head alignments.
However, it's a bit of a moot point. You only do the head alignment when you replace your head. Ordinary paper should do the trick, but preferred would be matte inkjet paper. There should be an option for a manual printhead alignment.

But $150? Cool beans. The price bumped up to $200ish shortly after I posted the links.

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Manuchau said:
Odd that no one here mentions the AIO MP 530. These are still plentiful at Canadian wholesalers and sell wholesale for $60.00 right now.This model also uses the same 5 pgi-5 and cli-8 carts and has an ADF. This is a real bargain these days.
In this case, the mp530 doesn't support Ethernet, which I got the impression that the OP wanted network support. Also, at the time of my posting, the mp530 wasn't cheap.

In the states, the mp530 floats at $100. The mp610 (no ethernet, no fax can be had from Amazon for $90. It shares a head with the mx850, so it might be a wise buy if one plans to keep a printer in service for as long as possible as printheads (qy6-0075) are $50ish to $80ish and ink is $70ish.

The big differences between the two units are
mx850 - Ethernet
mx850 - 512 black nozzles vs 320, more color nozzles. Extra 2pl nozzles (cyan/magenta)
mx850 - snazzy color screen

Ethernet is the big deal, though newer models are coming with wifi support with a sub $150 pricemark. Present models that take pgi-5bk and cli-8 cartridges, your choice is limited.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
where are they selling the 530 for 60.00 in canada, as staples is selling them for 99 in canada