New Print Head : No Cyan

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma iP8750; Pixma MG6650
Many thanks. Now I just need a rainy day.....

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Is tap water OK
Yes, tap water is fine for flushing. If you have hard water, water with a lot of minerals, the the last flush can be with distilled water.

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just a thought, as I wait the long lead time for the delivery of my non-essential supplies (I'm not complaining!).

Given that most of my OEM carts have been sitting around unsealed for months, is it worth filling them with a solution (e.g. tap water?) to let them soak until I can flush/clean them properly or would this do more harm than good?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
is it worth filling them with a solution (e.g. tap water?) to let them soak until I can flush/clean them properly
My opinion is that filling them with water and letting the cartridges sit for a period of time might encourage biological growth. I would leave the cartridges be, in a sealed plastic bag somewhere dark, not overly humid, and in cool temperature.

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
My opinion is that filling them with water and letting the cartridges sit for a period of time might encourage biological growth. I would leave the cartridges be, in a sealed plastic bag somewhere dark, not overly humid, and in cool temperature.
OK, will do. Thanks.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Hi Andy... Just spotted this thread... Can you drop me a line at OctoInkjet with your order reference so I can check what inks you've had and also get a few things organised to help with those dried carts.

Ref: Filling with tap water... Avoid like mad... From various cleaning experiments we've done over the last few years we found that tap water could fix/glue some of the chemicals from the ink within the sponges and made it near impossible to clean them out properly. Better to use de-ionised or distilled water and/or a suitable cleaning solution than just try tap water.

I'll keep an eye out for that email though and see what we can do from there...

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ref: Filling with tap water... Avoid like mad... From various cleaning experiments we've done over the last few years we found that tap water could fix/glue some of the chemicals from the ink within the sponges and made it near impossible to clean them out properly. Better to use de-ionised or distilled water and/or a suitable cleaning solution than just try tap water.

Thanks. I’d just like to absolutely clear about the flushing process.

Is it OK to do initial flushing with tap water just so long as it’s not left to stand or dry out (i.e final flush distilled)? Or, must all contact with tap water be avoided?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Is it OK to do initial flushing with tap water just so long as it’s not left to stand or dry out (i.e final flush distilled)? Or, must all contact with tap water be avoided?
If you have hard water - water with much mineral content - then initial flushes with tap water are ok but do a final flush with distilled water if possible.

If your water is polluted then use distilled water for all.

If you do not have polluted or hard water then tap water is fine for all.

Bottled drinking water has minerals "added back" but may not be a hard water.

http://www.finewaters.com/water-and-food-matching/flavor-taste-of-water/35-hardness