Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Nope, the iP7250 was trashed because of the refillables that we used and we bought a Maxify instead...;)

Odd, my MG6300 now about still 3-4 years still is plugging along fine...all the time with refillables. There are a couple of pointers that you need to know about these refillables or at least the ones I use.
Not all pigment inks can be used in them. That is a significant thing to know first...just the same as all text black pigment inks are not the same. What is fine "Canon" does not necessarily work in these refillables. So if you used a type, despite fine for PGI-5 etc..they will not necessarily work on the refillable. I tested them early in the game. So it is likely that super black stuff you use will not like the refillables.

Next, is that the sponge material and construction has a tendency to choke the cartridge. I have a video showing how to rectify this and might need to be repeated from time to time. The current printhead on these newer Canons desktops are actually quite resistant to burnouts...much better than prior generations.

There was a period of 6 months that it sat in a storage space and the carts dried out and got clogged. It took about two to three months of careful use to clear the nozzles...by printing to restore it. Today it is cranking about 100 pages per week.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
No, that was the best thing to happen to that lousy printer, I never liked it. :D
Not all pigment inks can be used in them. That is a significant thing to know first...
The printer died because the cartridges were neglected and allowed to run dry for weeks, (Using I.S inks, the KMP was fine) it was my grandson’s and he couldn’t be trusted to drink a can of Coke without spilling it all over himself, the Maxify has now got the better of him...;)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
:yuckyuck

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
Arc refill cartridges are the way to go on these printers. Top filling so not the same problems as other methods. Been using these carts in my IP 7250 for several months now, with no problems. It's not the same as old fashioned refilling, you can only refill a cartridge once the printer tells you it needs refilling so you can't top up carts in between.

Unfortunately the refilling days of the IP 4000-4500 are long gone and even if you still have these printers Windows 10 is waiting to make them obsolete.

Personally I sort of like the IP 7250. It's the only basic printer sold by Canon and it's been going for some years. You can get it for less than £50 in the UK with a 2 year warranty. Buy a set of Arc refillable cartridges and keep refilling for 2 years and keep hold of your OEM carts in case of a warranty claim and if the print head fails then you can claim for a new printer. What's not to like.

Let's face it, ALL printer manufacturers want their printers to fail after a few years and more importantly they want you to buy their own ink. We are buying printers at ridiculously low prices at the IP 7250 level and Canon make a loss if we do not purchase replacement OEM inks. So whichever way you go, Refillable or replacement carts, you're on a winner.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Let's face it, ALL printer manufacturers want their printers to fail after a few years
It's off-subject about the ARC cartridges, but I clearly cannot confirm that with Epson printers nor with Brother printers, if they fail it was my fault in most cases experimenting too much, doing off-regular things with the printers. I'm still running age-old printers like R800 or R265 , as well under Win 10, or an 15 year old Pro 7600 with several resets of all maintenance counters, it's more the opposite - those printers don't fail and my backup inventory does not drop......I'm aware of the public talk about planned obsolescence of particular hardware - by people who replace their smartphone every or so year by contract.......
Getting people to buy ink or such repeatedly is an old business model , exercised on a much larger scale by a Mr. Rockefeller in China with oil lamps more than 125 years ago

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
Unfortunately the refilling days of the IP 4000-4500 are long gone and even if you still have these printers Windows 10 is waiting to make them obsolete.
Do you mean make the drivers obsolete? Why should Microsoft do that if the hardware is still around?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
old drivers on Win 10, they may work or not, or you only can install them as uncertified drivers. But that's no different to quite some other software which may not work anymore on a newer version of an operating system. And that's not specific to Microsoft or Canon, similar thinks happen on Macs or Android systems, tablets etc

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Do you mean make the drivers obsolete? Why should Microsoft do that if the hardware is still around?
@FlyingingSaucer, it’s not Microsoft fault or problem, but they always get the blame, the printer manufactures themselves are the culprits, they don’t expect you to still have a working printer after 5 years, so why should they update their drivers...
Signed drivers cost money...:ep