New owner question on aftermarket inks and ARC refill cartridges

te36

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
various
@FlyingingSaucer, it’s not Microsoft fault or problem, but they always get the blame, the printer manufactures themselves are the culprits, they don’t expect you to still have a working printer after 5 years, so why should they update their drivers...
Signed drivers cost money...:ep

How is this not Microsofts responsibility ? I for once would still be running windows XP to keep hardware alive if Microsoft was not forcing me to upgrade. And Microsoft does not offer a "bug & security fixes only" support model to home users, instead they continue to stuff down new stuff to me, especially with the windows 10 model. Only for embedded industries is microsoft offering more useful support modes or else those customer would just stop buying microsoft.
A lot of vendors software/hardware are of course happy about this planned obsolescence due to incompatibilities.

Microsoft is probably better than MacOS thought wrt to long-term backward compatibility.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
particular groups of customers pay for enhanced and/or extended service, you don't. Paying once and expecting support for a very long time just won't work. Just imagine a business model with XP or similar that you don't just pay the purchase price but get a service charge every year for further support (and feature updates) - something similar to Adobe's business model.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Why do you continue to blame Microsoft for something you’ve done yourself, upgrading your own computer is your choice and responsibility, and it has nothing to do with MS.

If you have older hardware that won’t run on the newer O/S’s then keep that computer going for those older components but stay off the internet with it, that’s what a lot of others must do, including me.

Your stuck between a rock and a hard place, because if you buy a new computer, it won’t run Win XP anyway, so who’s to blame for that, the newer hardware and BIOS inside your computer are incompatible with a lot of the older internal stuff, which might also include external hardware.

You can use gender benders to marry the component and computer together, but that still leaves you with the same dilemma, where do you find a proper working driver to complete the job.

No matter which hardware you own, there's always going to be a compromise using it, if the manufacturer fails to provide a working updated driver, there’s nothing you can about it, this is the same for all O/S’s not just Microsoft.

Manufacturers of compentent and software producers get plenty of notice from both O/S providers of pending forth coming software changes and can react by altering and updating their components and software and submitting their drivers for official signing and approval. (Money is usually the problem)

When an owner feels they are been forced to use an unsigned driver for their components, the manufacturers are the culprits here not the O/S, I have a new 3D printer which I cannot use on Win 8.1, I can force the issue, but am unwilling to compromise the security of my computer in doing so, I must run it not tethered to the computer.

There are choices to be made out there but you must be ready to compromise, because you can’t use the new stuff and still run old Win XP and you can’t use the old stuff to run on Win 8.1 either in most cases...

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
Having worked for an embedded OS/software company I can tell you that support ain't cheap and they do, for many users, end of life products. And for those users who insist on "dead" product support that "pretty penny" they pay is far from a penny.