Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
YW pkk! Let us know how it turns out.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Stratman, I don't want to hijack this thread if it's still got a ways to go on the original, but I have a related question. Have you tested any of these for fading in light? I was thinking of trying this myself, but it would be nice if there's already a lot of info.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
@Thirlla, I didn't search for your question but here's a forum devoted to disc printing: http://club.myce.com/f123/

When I noticed lines on my WaterShield discs when printed from my iP4500, I manually cleaned the rollers inside the printer. They went away.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
ThrillaMozilla said:
Have you tested any of these for fading in light?
Good question. I have no idea the fading properties of any of the various printable disk media.

The only thing close that I know of were some test for water resistance. Most of my reading was from the forums of MYCE.com. The gist of these simple structured user tests was that typical matte white inkjet printable media ran/streaked/blurred from the effects of running water while the various water resistant printable media had various amounts of resistance to running water - some quite good - based on which manufacturer tested . Similar results to finger rubbed across the surface of the disk.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Thanks. Looks like a good source of info. I'll probably have to run the test.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
You know, I think there's been a misunderstanding. I was wondering about fading of the recordings, not the labels. Any tests on the recording media that you know of?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
ThrillaMozilla said:
You know, I think there's been a misunderstanding. I was wondering about fading of the recordings, not the labels. Any tests on the recording media that you know of?
Sure, the industry does archival testing. For disks used in the environment of an automobile, heat, light, gases, particulate matter, mechanical abrasions, liquids, sweat from hands, etc may decrease the lifespan of readable data and correctable errors. How much and by each of these variables is unknown to me. I see JVC announced a new archival grade DVD-R last November. There are archival grade CD-R as well. Sometimes you will see "medical" labeling to represent these supposed longer lasting disks. Archival grade disks cost more, of course.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Archival grade costs a LOT more, and in the face of cheaper alternatives, it's impractical for most uses. There's lots of information, but most of it is unusable for someone buying discs. Some manufacturers claim archival times in years; others make no numerical claims but imply that everything will be all right. There are also lots of Web sites that claim that your entire collection will suddenly stop playing after two years, but you won't notice it, of course.

What we need to know, of course, is what will last and what won't. I was hoping some hobbyists had begun to sort that out. I guess I'll just have to put some CDs and DVDs upside down in the sun and test them. Some information is infinitely more useful than no information.