new epson 1400 printing lines on jvc watershield dvd's

coonasty

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Just got a brand new epson 1400 and bought a pack of JVC Taiyo Yuden Water Shield White Inkjet Hub Printable 16X DVD-R. i also got the cone ciss system for the printer as well. did the alignment thing and got it about as good as what my eyes could decide which was best. pictures on paper come out beautiful. however when printing on the dvd itself there are visible vertical lines running down the dvd. they are not bad but upon close examination u can see them for sure. they are about an inch apart or so. im printing with the built in epson dvd printing software. the one setting i changed was the spot where u pick CD/DVD premium surface. im sure its a setting that needs to be adjusted...i just dont know what. also they appear whether i use epson's ink's or the cone inks. TIA

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Taiyo Yuden Water Shield disks are a tad thicker due to all the coatings applied to the printable surface of the disks. Some printers, both Epson and Canon, have tighter tolerances and the rollers that assist movement of the disk during alignment/printing can cause lines on the disk. I just read in a Google post on search query "epson 1400 water shied lines" that Epson has replaced printers for customers, at least one customer, for this problem. Try a non-Water Shield printable disk and see what happens.

Since the printer is new, call Epson for technical support. Maybe a different 1400 will not have this issue.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I agree 100% with that assesment.

The only way I can get perfect prints on those discs is on a dedicated disc printer such as my Primera Bravo Dosc Printers. Though my EPson Artisan does an excellent job on these discs.

coonasty

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
thanks so much for the responses. i pretty much bought those taiyo's due to people saying how great they were. and if not for the lines, the prints would be beautiful.

any recommendations on some printable dvd media that would look good and not be as thick as the taiyo's to try out? thanks again

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I have a Canon MP830 and never had a problem with the Water Shield disks. Years ago there were discussions of this phenomena with Canon printers on MYCE.com in their forums. MYCE is also a great place to look up your burner's performance. People post their experiences with a specific burner and a specific media (primarily error, jitter and transfer rate testing using a disk scanning software). There might be more information in the forums about your specific problem with the Epson 1400.

Taiyo Yuden also makes inkjet hub printable printable disks in matte - the original white printable surface - and a semigloss PrintPlus! disk, both DVD and CD versions. The PrintPlus! has an orange peel sort of surface and the printed image can look like an excellent silk screen or a terrific picture. Obviously the Water Shield are more glossy, but each printable surface has its strengths and weaknesses. There is also a Silver Inkjet surface, which I use for text only.

Verbatim makes good inkjet printable surfaces, including their version of Water Shield called AquaAce Glossy. Tried a free sample once. Looked nice. Similar to the TY Water Shield, but I liked the TY output better.

Imation has the Imation AquaGuard water resistent printable surface. Never tried these.

Falcon Media, Made in United Arab Emirates, makes some outstanding Pro line disks with nice printable surfaces. Only Verbatim and Falcon make a DVD+R DL printable surface worth buying if you want Dual Layer blanks (printable or not IMO)

There are other companies with printable surfaces. The most import thing is to first select a high quality disk that provides the best burn possible. Each DVD burner has preferences for media type. Sticking with Taiyo Yuden (Premium Line), Verbatim (Azo dye type only) and Falcon Media (Pro versions) will help assure you make the most out of your burner and expense. Except for some outliers, I use near exclusively TY and Falcon. Verbatim burns and prints nice but TY is the best disks (except for their DVD-R 16x which never burned well for me no matter what burner I've used.)

If you are serious about burning high quality disks with the lowest errors, I suggest you buy a Lite-On iHAS burner such as iHAS524 T98-A (or (T98-B) drives because they can do reliable error and jitter checking on DVD's (but not on CD's). Most drivers today do not do reliable error /jitter checking, if at all. You will need a modified version of the old Nero CD-DVD Speed to do error/jitter checking which is free to download.

What you find as the best printed output depends on you. You'll need to see how your printer handles color reproduction with the disks. There are some differences in temperature of colors that exists across manufacturers, just like how 35 mm film was warmer or cooler depending upon if Fuji or Kodak.

In the meantime, why not try Epson support to see if they will send you a new replacement printer to fix the problem.

There are a handful of places I purchase from in the USA for Taiyo Yuden and Falcon Media. Verbatim may be found locally for you. It all depends where you live. What country are you from?

coonasty

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
thanks for the replies and come to find out this brand spanking new printer has a bad print head :(. though pics come out fine the nozzle head test has the same thin vertical line on the ink. epson is sending me a new one to replace.

pkk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro100 Epson 3880, 9880
Hey Stratman,
What do I need to get to print on DVDs on my MP830?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
pkk said:
Hey Stratman,
What do I need to get to print on DVDs on my MP830?
Follow the instructions on http://damnprinter.com/. Scroll down and click on "Instructions" that correspond to your printer model. It is easy and the results are fantastic. :)

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
For those of you that have this problem with Canon printers. My MP640 produces lines on TY glossy DVDs. It IS NOT because they are thicker. I found this out by measuring the thickness of the TY watershield disc and a regular disk with a glossy sticky label applied to it. The glossy sticky label disk was considerably thicker but yet it came out of the printer without and lines on it thereby proving that thickness has nothing to do with the problem. I switched to Verbatlim AquaAce glossy discs and the problem disappeared and so far no coasters using the Verbatim discs.

pkk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro100 Epson 3880, 9880
Thanks Stratman. I learn something new every time I log onto this forum.

Pkk