New Canon Printers in the Offing? Adorama Deals

InkMiser

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just got an in-store only (but with free shipping) from Adorama via email. The Pixma Pro9000 Mark II works out to $100 after Adorama and Canon rebates. The Pro9500 Mark II is $250 after rebates. I already have the 9500 but don't need pigment prints all the time. I'm sorely tempted by the 9000. Is it any harder to refill than the 9500?

Has Canon already announced their replacements for these models?

http://view.e.adorama.com/?j=fe5a15...d1d77&jb=ffcf14&ju=fe2815787161037d741c75&r=0

lowepg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Id be all ovr another Pro9000 for $99! (if I didnt already have a spare).

Hell- you could probably sell the ink carts for nearly $100 themselves and have a free printer.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Japan is in a recession , Honda profit is down 64% and USA retail sales apparently dropped this month New auto sales dropped in Canada this month as well.. Apparently safes are selling very well in Japan. The people are hoarding cash.

Is this indicative of something?

A lot of camera operations were affected by the tsunami as well.

for $99 and $249 this could spur some OEM cartridge sales which would boost the bottom line quickly. I once heard that 80% or so of HP net profits come from it ink cartridge sales. That might be less today but still, the profit margin on cartridge sales really prop up corporate bottom lines.

No doubt for $99, they are a great buy and guess what? They are out of stock when I called them. If you are not in store, you cannot get the $200 instant rebate

I was confused about "free shipping" but "in store" only? I am looking for a 9500.

InkMiser

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:
No doubt for $99, they are a great buy and guess what? They are out of stock when I called them. If you are not in store, you cannot get the $200 instant rebate

I was confused about "free shipping" but "in store" only? I am looking for a 9500.
I went by this evening and they were, indeed, out of stock. However, the salesman arranged to have a Pro9000 shipped to me. Amazingly, the net cost will be $50 + tax. I should have it in two days. I would have bought the Pro9500 but I already have it, along with an extra unsealed printhead that Canon tech support once sent me. I think the key is being physically present in the store.

You're spot-on about printers being sold on a razor blade business model. But wouldn't it make more sense to come out with a newer, more difficult to refill, set of ink cartridges? It's not directly analogous but it reminds me of pharmaceutical manufacturers that market "extended release" versions of drugs that are about to lose their patent protection.

The funny thing is that about three years ago, when my i960 died, I bought a Pixma 6000D for around $60 at Adorama -- precisely because I didn't want to have to deal with chipped cartridges. I think it had already been discontinued. Works fine to this day -- not that I use it much.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Japan might be in a recession but they are not trying too hard to sell the Canon 9500 Pro here in UK

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/76291/show.html

Even with the 100 discount it's still works out at about 780 USD!!!!

You guys are soooooo fortunate to get cheap printers ;)

Enjoy them and print plenty of photos!

hceuterpe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I heard Canon overdid it with lens manufacturing and recovered too fast.
I wouldn't be surprised if that resulted in excess stock of products.

Btw, when they tell you to "cut a whole in the box" for the UPC, literally cut out the hole. Don't try to peel off the UPC leaving some of the cardboard. I heard some people got their rebates denied because they didn't "cut a whole in the box".
Sounds really silly, but they require this supposedly because they've been scammed. This printer deal was related to a Canon 60D I just got. I said no thanks to the printer, but had I done so and filled out the rebate, the Canon 9000 would have cost me about $13USD :woot:

Wow they are selling the 60D with a cheaper lens than I got for 1049!! You can get the higher priced lens for $1199 here in the US. That's 734.
It's not fun to buy Canon in the UK.:(