1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: How to diagnose true clogs vs air bubbles using nozzle check
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

New Canon G4000 multi doesn't use carts!

Discussion in 'Canon InkJet Printers' started by Mowerman90, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Dec 28, 2016
    Mowerman90

Mowerman90 Printer Guru

Today I received an email from Canon showcasing their new inkjet multi printers that do not use Carts.
    https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/...RID=1-TERQGJ&CON=1-3HL-1708&PRO=&CID=1-TBHLIG They have separate ink tanks similar to Epsons. They're rather expensive starting at $249 with the top of the line G4000 going for $399. They claim that one tankful of ink will print 6000 pages of black and 7000 pages of color before needing refilled! All variations and price ranges of these printers use the same printhead. Now the best part, ink refill bottles are only $17.99 each for the pigment black and $11.99 each for colors. This will mean the end of refilling as we know it. From the Canon India site I looked at one of the online manuals and it seems that when it comes time to refill you don't have to put in any codes or other nonsense to get the printer to work again. Thus the reason for the high initial price I suppose. Hopefully they will soon offer this new feature on the larger format printers.

2. Dec 28, 2016
    Ink stained Fingers

Ink stained Fingers Printer Master

Printer Model:
    R265, L300, L800, Pro 7600
    Or refilling will become much easier - no chips, no resetters etc

The Hat likes this.
  3. Dec 28, 2016
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon iP5200 + more printers
    It looks like these printers are four colour printers with pigment black and dye cyan, magenta and yellow. I think these printers are intended for office use, not all-round home use, as there is no photo (dye) black, making the printers less suitable for photo printing.

4. Dec 28, 2016
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon Rule in My House
    I have a Canon iX 4000 office printers that has the same 3 dye and pigment black setup, yes, it is not a photo printer but it still does a very good job on the average photo.

It would never be satisfactory, or qualify as high quality but most Joe Soaps would be very happy with its output, its sort of horses for courses, if it isn’t a high-quality print to start with, then the 3 colour printer is more than up to the job.
    This is probably a dream come through for the CISS operators who love to lash out hundreds of pages a day using universal cheap ink to keep their costs to nothing, but the sting in the tail may well be that this printer is tuned strictly for OEM inks use only, I have never known Canon to take their eye of the ball.

Only time will tell... :eek:

Roy Sletcher likes this.
  5. Dec 28, 2016
    pharmacist

pharmacist Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Epson Pro 3880, 1500W, WF-7525
    Now let me guess: after 2 years the ink waste pads are full and replacing them cost a fortune.....Now where is the user replaceable waste ink tank and probably as important as that: user replaceable print heads ???

palombian and The Hat like this.
  6. Dec 28, 2016
    pharmacist

pharmacist Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Epson Pro 3880, 1500W, WF-7525
    I would like to have something like the IP 8750 with CISS, user replaceable print heads and waste ink tank with pigment black, photo black and grey ink containers. Let's say 120 ml pigment black and 70 ml dye ink containers for PB, G, C, M and Y ink.

7. Dec 28, 2016
    Ink stained Fingers

Printer Model:
    Oh well - Christmas is over - isn't it ? We can make up a wish list to the printer manufacturers...

The Hat likes this.
  8. Dec 28, 2016
    stratman

stratman Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    1) The cost of OEM Canon ink per page printed for this line of printers may undercut third-party ink sellers. I probably would buy Canon inks at this price point because of their quality and durability.

From http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/canon-g-series-printers/...
    2) It may be Canon has discovered improved print head functioning to resist clogs or other malfunctions given the page counts on an installed bottle of ink. It would be fiscally shortsighted to release a printer that will cost the company millions in warranty service repairs.

3) Printer warranty is 1 year. Maybe Canon has not resolved print head/logic board assay malfunctions. No doubt the bean counters with their rolled up shirt sleeves and emerald colored lamp shade lamps have figured out the best profit route.

4) I have read two articles so far that mention these new printers are more efficient about wasting ink. No further specifics.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    The Hat likes this.
  9. Dec 28, 2016
    Ink stained Fingers

Printer Model:
    No wonder - there are no cleaning cycles anymore related to cartridge changes - there are none, the same applies to the Epson Ecotank ET and integrated tank system ITS models L100 through L1800 and more ET models.
    But there is one hidden caveat - Epson is selling less performing inks - in regards to fade resistance - with these ITS and ET models - the L300 ink is worse than the L800 inks , and these are by far not that good as the genuine Claria photo inks of the 1500W.
    And one can assume that Canon is playing the same tricks with their refill inks. They are probably as good (or bad) as other 3rd party budget refill inks.

10. Dec 28, 2016
    stratman

stratman Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    Good point. No where in any of the links I have read on the new GI-290 inks does it mention anything about the quality of the inks as Canon does with their other ink lines.

"MegaTank" does not shout out "quality".