Needle supply ( UK )

martop

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman,

I really can not be bothered being drawn into a debate about what needles are the best as every one has their own views on the matter and it is a person choice, in my case it was a matter of what was easy to find. My post was simply to supply information to readers who live in the UK, you know we dont all live in the US.

From now on anything I find that could be of use to anyone else will be kept to myself, that way I wont offend the views of other posters.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Thanks to a customer in the US paying me in blunt 19gauge needles I now have 1000's of them now so it keeps me busy..

Not much call for them though but syringes are even more fun individually it seems so I just bought bulk of those and resell too... As to the boots thing... that had me laughing... I got the same reaction from a lass half my blasted age!.. :rolleyes: :p

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
martop said:
stratman,

I really can not be bothered being drawn into a debate about what needles are the best as every one has their own views on the matter and it is a person choice, in my case it was a matter of what was easy to find. My post was simply to supply information to readers who live in the UK, you know we dont all live in the US.

From now on anything I find that could be of use to anyone else will be kept to myself, that way I wont offend the views of other posters.
You seem a bit hostile.

I did not intend to "bother" you in a debate or deride your choice of equipment. I was trying to share information too. Before someone else spoke about blunt tipped needles, I never considered them.

From the movie Stripes:

Psycho: The name's Francis Sawyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you.
Leon: Ooooooh.
Psycho: You just made the list, buddy. Also, I don't like no one touching my stuff. So just keep your meat-hooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. And I don't like nobody touching me. Any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.
Sergeant Hulka: Lighten up, Francis.

martop

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hostile ? look buddy, you try typing replies when your fingers are full of needle holes :p

http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=1724&seite=5&t=schritt_2_kanuele_einfuehren

Sharp needle, same in the instructions that came with the reDsetter and in the kit I got with it :p

Exhibit A, The effect of using a blunt needle on a canon cart, it was my first attempt using a blunt needle ( as I did not have a sharp one to hand at the time ), I stripped the cart by cutting the top off, just to prove a point and because i had nothing better to do, I removed the sponge very carefully then cut the cart in half longways.

The tiny hole that feeds the ink from the bottom chamber into the cart clearly shows the opening was widened, you could say enlarged. On examining the sponge there is signs that the needle moved the layers of fabric away from each other. Once I get time I will produce photographs and show them if anyone should like to have a look. Given the amount of ink that flooded the print head I just had to have a look and see if it was the cart or if it was the seal around the print head, now given I am a newbie to refilling and certainly not a master of the art you can see why I was concerned.

I wasnt going to post anything about this untill I had the cart open and the images ready to show but as in the spirit of the forum, it may be interesting to anyone else. I hope you enjoy the rest of your movie :-/

Froggy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
To a policeman, everyone is a potential criminal until proven otherwise, which can be as simple as body language and behaviour. To a physician, everyone asking for narcotics is suspect until proven otherwise, which can be as simple as a cogent history. It's the nature of the job that requires a heightened vigilence, even before 9/11.
My point was that this attitude extends much further than police/phamacists/doctors who rightly have always behaved in this manner. It is getting to the point that you see a member of the Muslim faith and we are indoctrinated into thinking "suicide bomber" and we see a man walking in a street by a school and we think "paedophile" first. And they are both only going down the road for a newspaper. But this is off topic so I'll end here.

martop: I don't think stratman wanted a debate. None of us have been forced to read or contribute to this thread. Please don't stop sharing the information. I've already passed that medical site url onto three people I know, and not because they are even interested in printers but work in health related areas. Thank you, you've made a difference.

Aussieinker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Martop
You are Responsible for me having a sore jaw and tears -laugh- your in the wrong hobby you should be on stage.
Anyway back to reality I went to a vet clinic (horse doctor) in search of long syringes, and the girl told me I didn't have enough legs but put me onto a medical supply company- 50mm x 1.1mm syringes $10.00AU for a box of 100 seems like some company's are taking advantage of the refillers.
On needle stick injuries let them bleed then a dab of alcohol and you usually learn to respect the sharp bits, I have the holes to prove it.

If any forum members in AUS want some needles (free) send me an email and we will see what can be arranged.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Martop:

No harm, no foul.

The only times I have had ink leak from the cartridge is if I inject the ink to fast/forcefully, fill beyond ~3 mm from the top in the spongeless side on an otherwise fully filled cartridge, or squeeze the sides of the cartridge.

There are a number of refillers that use blunt tipped needles without ill effect... so far. Look forward to your pictures of the sponge.

Stripes is a classic misfit-makes-good comedy movie starring John Candy and Bill Murray. Good one to watch with your mates while enjoying a Guinness... or three.

Froggy:

Are we talking terrorist pedophile refillers asking chemists for needles? I'd be suspicious too.

Aussieinker:

Best price I've seen on needles longer than 1.5". Nice find.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Stratman,

Just imagine the following: glycerol can be used to make nitroglycerine, but by itself it is completely harmless and used in in syrups to dissolve paracetamol/acetaminophen for children and tastes very sweet like sugar. Same for propylene glycol (also potable and sweet). Now what ? Ban those liquids too ???

Buying a gun loaded with deadly bullets seems to be easier in the States than buying some needles......Just think about this ridiculous legislation.

martop

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Stripes is a classic misfit-makes-good comedy movie starring John Candy and Bill Murray. Good one to watch with your mates while enjoying a Guinness... or three.

Not too keen on Guinness unless its on draft ( tap ) Usualy have those strange sounding beers like spitfire, speckled hen or tangle foot. If you think I had a hard time asking for needles in the chemists shop, imagine what happens when you ask for a bishops finger ! Its a strong dark ale but not every one who works in bars knows that ! Most times though its a good movie and a couple ok DJ's, I was rather furtunate to have a single malt version of JD, very smooth but very hard to find here.

Are we talking terrorist pedophile refillers asking chemists for needles? I'd be suspicious too.

I suppose its possible, there may be a terrorist junkie who tried to make a ink bomb but ended up abusing the cartridges within a mile of a school. Paranoia has replaced mass hysteria over here it seems.

martop

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I wasnt sure if to post this here or start a new post, but it seemed to lead of from the rest of the posts, hope its ok.

I took the 5PGBK cart to pieces as it seemed to be causing a problem in that the leading edge of the print had smears across the top of the card, looking at the print head it was covered in black ink, i wasnt sure what black it was so I took a sample and mixed it with water, it didnt mix that good so it looked like pigment even though the cart itself didnt look faulty nor was the print head filter flooded, replacing the cart with a new oem one and cleaning the print head and its cradle fixed most of the problems.

Here is the cart in pieces after I washed it out using hot water and a bathroom cleaner fluid as this seems to clean the pigment better than hot water. Applogies, I uploaded it as a resized image.

3527_ink_cart_exploded.jpg

I cut the cart up with a dremil saw and split the ink divider wall with a scapel then carefull removed the sponges, the lower sponge does have needle track marks, it may look worse in the image as the cart is no longer compressed in the cart but the surface is roughend and the groove is about 1.5 maybe 2mm deep,

3527_sponge.jpg

The track doesnt show up very good here but its the best of the images I took.

The image below is looking from the prism end of the cart, I noticed there is a hole where I poked through with a sharp needle, it was my first refill so one mistake wont matter would it, well it seems it does with this cart, the instructions mention something about 'if you feel slight resistance push a little harder' well I did but missed the correct hole.

3527_inside_cart.jpg

The image shows how large the correct feed hole is, I was surprised as I was under the imression it would be tiny, it may be half this size in a cli-8 as that only has one lower track in the cart where the 5 has two.

There is also a deformed area in the wall, in the image it loos like its twisted but in fact its a dent in the grid patern in the wall and a fine crack leading to half way up.

2 things worry me about this, one is the track in the sponge, does it cause too much ink to be delivered in the 5PGBK cart if using a large blunt needle as the track is quite clear and the surface of the sponge is roughend up, the second one is the extra hole and crack in the wall, I cant prove the extra hole will feed more ink to the sponge. The crack I am not sure off, this cart is made from a flexable plastic so I beleive this may be a fault with this one cart and I was just unlucky.

If I part the sponge with my fingers the track in it does open a lot, almost seperating to half the depth of the sponge itself, the top sponge seems to made from the same material and does not part when I try to prise the sides apart.

To me this cart fed too much ink, maybe just enough to make a mess of the print head and I am convinced now that the damage to the sponge and the hole and crack in the inner seperator wall played a part and by replacing the cart the problem has gone, the print head is clean even after 20 or so full a4 prints, where the faulty cart messed the head up after about 3 prints.

It was quite fun taking this apart, It cost me nothing as it was already a dud and I have a nice chip to use on a compatable. Next I may take a cheapo compat apart to compare the sponges used as I have one here ( yellow ) that looks like plain old sponge in it and its missing the lip on the front of the casing, I wont use it in case it wont make a good seal to the print head.

I would welcome any views on this from those who are more experianced then I am.