need W 10 drivers for DeskJets 932, 970 and 6122

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Have you completely uninstalled and deleted previous installs and attempts at installs before trying the instructions from the link in post #3? Rebooting would also be advisable to make sure the hard drive and RAM are clean slates before a new installation attempt.

More links that should get you to success:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...stall-on/6f86af57-ceb3-40cd-a863-b24000893185

Led me to

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-f5f4-49ef-b2d1-e4bb0831a0f2?tm=1343189702915

led me to

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=HP DeskJet 990c

The last link has links to download the CAB files to install the driver for Win 7 and Win 8.x flavors. I don't know if you will need to run these in compatibility mode. Interesting that the drivers are listed as last updated in 2006 yet Microsoft did not release Windows 7 until 2009.

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430 HP 932 Canon iP8720
@stratman: As far as I know, those deletions were total. But I have to tell you that I discovered another DeskJet 970 in my storage area and so far it looks to work well in Win 10. It turns out the first 970 I tried had some additional non-OS issues.

So I'm very sorry to have put everybody through this but I think I can lay this thread down. I certainly do appreciate all your your tips and ideas.

Paul

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you for the feed-back. Out of curiosity, I guess the install of the DJ 970 on Win 10 was plug and play?

Last edited:

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
@PeterBJ: Time for me to fill in the whole story.

My wife has a 970 and her computer is running Win 10. Her printer was easily installed and used plug and play. It used the driver that comes with Windows. But it's been a while and that's all I can remember. My 932 installed the same way. With both setups, unfortunately there is not a Toolbox (I think that's what it's called) and you have to call up various items by using the buttons in various combinations. I have a little printout stuck to my computer for easy reference. For example "41" means you hold down the power button, then you tap the cancel button four times and the paper feed one time, let go the power button and you get a printout showing among other features, the remaining ink levels. Once you get used to it, it's pretty handy.

But I got tired of doing two-sided printing manually, the 932 doesn't do duplex. I ordered a refurbed 970 off the auction site, supposed to have a low page count - we'll see. It should install easily, using the built-in drivers just as my wife's 970 and my 932. I'll post my results, it should arrive tomorrow. These 900 printers are real workhouses. The 6122 is a different animal however, never could install it in spite of the excellent tips here.

Stay tuned...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
My 932 installed the same way. With both setups, unfortunately there is not a Toolbox (I think that's what it's called)
I wonder if the "Full Feature" version of the driver (not the "Basic" version) includes the "toolbox"?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Deskjet-900-Printer-series/25305/model/19034

It might be the plug and play version drivers is not the "full feature" driver OR it could be you need to run the driver in Compatibility Mode to get the Toolbox functions.

I appears the toolbox function and the printer itself goes back to Windows 3.x, so it is amazing the printer still runs!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I remember the full feature driver from the Windows 98 days. This driver is flawed, the USB driver does not work, you will have to use the parallel port. As my HP DJ 930 was second hand and some clever IT guy told me the USB port on the printer was defective, I believed that and used the parallel port instead. I later got a new computer with Windows XP and tried a plug and play install using the USB port. I was surprised as the printer was immediately recognised and a driver was installed from Windows update. So nothing was wrong with the USB port. I don't remember if the toolbox was available or I had to use "tap codes" for nozzle check and cleaning.

IIRC the HP DJ 930 and 932 are identical and the difference was in the warranty conditions, one of the printers was sold for home use, the other for office use. I also think a duplexer unit was an optional extra, my DJ 930 has a contact board that suggest that the "back door" could be replaced by a duplexer. See this photo:

HP DJ 930 contacts for duplexer.jpg

Last edited:

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Somehow I've incurred the wrath of the printer gods. My printer arrived but half of it was covered in ink. I'm being shipped a new one, no charge, but it won't be here till next week. I hope to conclude this sorry episode soon!