Need Opinions Please.

SpartanWarrior

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi I have a Pixma iP4500 that now is giving me 5 yellow flashes, so I took the print head out cleaned it good and reinstalled it only to find out that it didn't do no good, so very hard to find a print head I need a new printer fast and I was thinking about the iP7220/7250, Hobbicolors do have refill ink for it here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261198255445?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
what I need to know is, is there a better option for an A4 printer? maybe epson? or is the iP7250 a good printer? my clients usually need 5x7 A4 size prints so I have no need for an A3 size printer thanks;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
SpartanWarrior said:
Hi I have a Pixma iP4500 that now is giving me 5 yellow flashes, so I took the print head out cleaned it good and reinstalled it only to find out that it didn't do no good, so very hard to find a print head I need a new printer fast and I was thinking about the iP7220/7250, Hobbicolors do have refill ink for it here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261198255445?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
what I need to know is, is there a better option for an A4 printer? maybe epson? or is the iP7250 a good printer? my clients usually need 5x7 A4 size prints so I have no need for an A3 size printer thanks;)
The orange flashing light five times means your print head has had it and a replacement will be required,
new print heads are still available at www.ebay.com/bhp/canon-ip4500-printhead.

The iP4500 is well worth hanging on too and if you get a replacement print head for it, youll have a brand new printer again.

The new 7220/ 7250 printers are a very poor replacement for the 4500 and you should only consider them if you despite,
they come with start-up carts that are not easy to refill and you wont have a resetter either,
but on the good side you can still use your current 4500 inks in them..

SpartanWarrior

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The Hat said:
SpartanWarrior said:
The orange flashing light five times means your print head has had it and a replacement will be required,
new print heads are still available at www.ebay.com/bhp/canon-ip4500-printhead.

The iP4500 is well worth hanging on too and if you get a replacement print head for it, youll have a brand new printer again.

The new 7220/ 7250 printers are a very poor replacement for the 4500 and you should only consider them if you despite,
they come with start-up carts that are not easy to refill and you wont have a resetter either,
but on the good side you can still use your current 4500 inks in them..
Ok I saw those print heads but was hesitant because lets say I buy the new print head and the yellow light still comes on lol.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
SpartanWarrior said:
Ok I saw those print heads but was hesitant because lets say I buy the new print head and the yellow light still comes on lol.
Its a chance you'll have to take just like most other guys that got the same error as you and it worked out for them,
I also got the same error on my i865 and its working away now no problems..

SpartanWarrior

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The Hat said:
SpartanWarrior said:
Its a chance you'll have to take just like most other guys that got the same error as you and it worked out for them,
I also got the same error on my i865 and its working away now no problems..
I actually found another iP4500 for sale on the internet here close to me and I bought it for 50 euro so I should have it tomorrow, but I wonder what made the printer head go bad as I only printed about 400 photos from it for a couple weddings I photographed, maybe the 3rd party inks?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Most Canon print heads go bad due to overheating due to ink starvation either because you allowed a cart to go dry. Or if the cart is not providing ink flow at a specific volume and rate to keep up with the print jobs you are sending to it.
Usually ink starvation is more common if you use compatible carts of refillables. Refilling OEM carts is the beast and most reliable way to go.
Of course a head can go bad due to many other reasons that the other Canon experts here can readily describe. The Hat and Mikling can definite add to this more than me.

Good luck with the new printer.

Joe

SpartanWarrior

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Well got my other iP4500 printer in today, the person didn't take good care of it but took out the printer head and put it in mine and all is working again thank god, so I think I will also order another print head just to have a back up.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Glad your replacement printer has provided you with a replacement head plus no doubt some other useful spares for the future. Just a thought, you mentioned you had only printed off 400 photos.

Was that as 1 batch without a break ? like jtoolman said overheating is one reason for failure of Canon print heads. A commercial printer could handle a batch straight off like that, not so sure about a Printer designed for general home use.

If the 400 photos were spaced out I completely understand your feelings regarding the head failure.

SpartanWarrior

Printer Guru
Reaction score
barfl2 said:
Glad your replacement printer has provided you with a replacement head plus no doubt some other useful spares for the future. Just a thought, you mentioned you had only printed off 400 photos.

Was that as 1 batch without a break ? like jtoolman said overheating is one reason for failure of Canon print heads. A commercial printer could handle a batch straight off like that, not so sure about a Printer designed for general home use.

If the 400 photos were spaced out I completely understand your feelings regarding the head failure.
No I just got started in weddings to make some money on the side and have did 3 weddings so far so the client gets 100 images for their album printed, so 100 were printed each time but different days, I also just ordered another print head from here
http://www.inkjetprinthead.com/canon-printhead-for-ip4500-mp610-mp810_1.htm
and also ordered some ink from Precision Colors.