Need information on the Epson situation

happydog500

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have read about not being able to get non OEM epson Cartridges. I have a CX4800 that I have used Non OEM's with great success.
Not sure what's going on, I see lots of places selling non OEM inks. If I buy, will they now not work, or is it when you buy a new printer, they won't work on epsons now being made? Or maybe they will work on new and old epsons, but the ink will not be able to be sold sometime in the future?
Why are there still lots of places to get non OEM epson Ink, after epson (or the law) changed to not have non OEM inks sold?
Any information to help me understand this situation well be appreciated, since I need to get some ink.
Thank you,
Chris.

Ken_CW_Honolulu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
As I understand it, Epson's recent patent infringement settlement does not prevent refilled/remanufactured cartridges from being sold, but DOES prevent third-party compatible manufacturers who used to produce non-OEM cartridges from producing their compatibles. This settlement, combined with the self-destruct mechanism on the nine pin cartridges (t069*, t078*) means that it will be very difficult to get and supply refillable epsons.

I would recommend switching to an HP printer that takes the HP 02 series of cartridges to continue purchasing non-OEM refills. For home refilling, find a printer that takes the Canon BCI-6 (the printers for which are no longer in production), or the Canon CLI-8 (which require a fancy chip resetter).