Need help with my Cannon MP 610

dantheman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I dont know what is wrong with my Cannon MP 610. The lightest magenta color is not shown on the print nozzle check. I have done quick and deep cleaning a few times already, but same problem. I know the magenta cartridge is good because I have tested it on other printers. Below is the picture of the nozzle print from my printer.

http://img338.imageshack.us/i/mp610nozzlecheck.jpg/

Thank you for your help

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Have you tried using a new OEM cart? If a new oem cart works then you have an ink flow issue. You can't assume because a cartridge works on other printers it'll work on this one. They all behave slightly differently even with the same cartridge.

dantheman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have not tried the oem cart yet. So can this be the print head problem or it just the ink flow?

Thanks,

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
It's impossible to tell until you test with an absolutely known good cartridge. Because ink flow issues can manifest differently. If there's a moderate ink flow issue a cartridge may seem ok in other printer but not on the particular printer you're using. Some printers draw ink faster like the ip4600 because it has more nozzles, comparatively a cartridge that seems "clogged" or slow on the ip4600 may seem ok on the ip3600 because it has half as many print heads hence a slower ink draw rate. So the only way to rule out the cartridge is with a new oem one.

If on the new oem you still see a problem then you know it's in the print head. You could have a bad print head seal, could be cracked, or even simply squished at an awkward position letting air in. Also could be a problem with the metal screen, if it's dented in then it may not make full contact with the felt pad and I've seen issues with that before.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Chances are though, that since the darker magenta nozzles appear to be working and they require a heavier flow, you probably have an electrical problem in the print head. You might try removing the print head and cleaning the contacts and see if that will get it going, otherwise you will need a new print head.

dantheman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you for all of your responses. I don't have a new OEM cart to test it now. However, a couple of months ago, my printer had this very loud noise every time I print. The noise is very loud and the printer was much vibrated and it actually shook my printer table. It sounded like something inside the printer is breaking apart. The print was fine and nozzle check was good. I cannot rember if it only happened when I printed the DVD disk or everything, but I know for sure it happened when I print the DVD disk. It went on for like a week and back to normal (silence when I print). Right now the pictures print seem ok on the regular paper (have not try it on photo paper yet), but DVD or CD disks are terrible. My gut feeling is that my printer head is hosed.

Thanks again for your help

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I don't think a problem with the print head would make DVD's not print when plain paper prints. Are you still having an incomplete nozzle check?

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I have seen printers with nozzle check print like that. It is your print head that is clogged. The lightest color of magenta (Cyan as well) uses the group of nozzles with the smallest nozzle size of 1 pico liter. These nozzles are clogged by the ink that is not correctly formulated. The ink in such small nozzles can be easily overheated and gel up to clog the nozzles. This kind of clogging is almost impossible to unclog. Don't use compatible cartridges. They may appear to be working on another printer. It will eventually clog the lightest color of magenta on that printer too.

It's not always caused by poor quality ink. If you do not use your printer frequently the ink in those tiny nozzles may dry up. Next time you print you will be cocking the dried ink in the nozzles. The result will be the same that the ink gels up in the nozzles.

Almost all print head clogging start with smallest nozzles. It has nothing to do with electronics in the print head.

dantheman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Again, thank you for all of your comments and suggestions. I was wondering if ink was the cause of my print head clogged. Im currently using Hobbicolors UW8 and wondering if it may be the reason. Prior to using Hobbicolors UW8, I use Formulabs ink from Alotofthings.com (they closed their business and I really miss their ink) and never has any problem. One thing I did not do is when I ran out of ink from Alotofthings, I just refill those cartridges with Hobby Color ink without purge or flush the old ink out. I dont know if this would cause the print head clog.

If you have a favorite ink that you use for your CLi8 cartridges, please let me know and where to purchase it. Is Alotofthings actually sold Formulabs ink? I cannot seem to find a place that sells it.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I don't think there is any issue with dye inks when mixing different brands. The concern is usually that the inks should all be changed at the same time to keep the colors working correctly together. Hobbicolors has an excellent reputation with their dye inks so I doubt that your problem is related to your choice of inks.

In my experience, when you have nozzles clogging, only some of them clog and they take on random patterns. When you have no nozzles of a particular color working, that could be and ink flow problem, either in the cartridge or in the print head. Sometimes ink flow problems appear as some nozzles not working but they tend to group together.

So when you have all the nozzles of a particular color and nozzle size not working or half working in a regular pattern, that is almost always electrical, especially if repeated cleanings doesn't change anything.

Latest posts