Need Help with MX922 inkjet

eyendall

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MX922
Some time ago I got a B200 error message which basically froze the machine. Rather than doing what it said and take the printer to a repair shop, I started googling around and decided to clean the print head myself. That done and reinstalled with the help of Youtube videos and fitted with non-OEM ink cartridges I restarted the printer. The print output was terrible from the start with missing text, blue text, mismatched image colours, until no useable printed output at all was produced. I bought a non-OEM replacement for the print head and installed that. After a very few few pages printed in blue not black ink the same problem reappeared.
I finally took the unit into a repair shop for an assessment. The technician apparently cleaned the print head and said he thought the problem was the purge-unit but first he needed to test the printer using Canon inks which I provided, He then got back to me saying he did not now think it was the purge unit but rather the print head which needed replacing.
Clearly something has got completely clogged-up. I have made arrangements to buy a new Canon print-head but I am concerned that it may still be the purge unit that is the problem. I am sure that replacing the purge unit will be too difficult for me to do. Can it be cleaned (using water or solvent) without taking the printer apart, and would such cleaning be the obvious next step? Could the problem be caused by anything else? Any suggestions and help with this would be greatly appreciated.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
At this point, do NOT print anything other than nozzle checks until the issues are resolved or a senior forum member advises otherwise.

A Canon B200 error code typically means the print head has an irreparable electrical malfunction and the solution is a new print head.

That your replacement print head resulted the "same problem" could mean that the logic assay board has malfunctioned. The odds that two print heads with the exact same issues is not impossible but is unusual unless something else is involved. If this is the case then a new print head may not correct the issue.

I have not seen an non-OEM print head for a Canon. Please post a link to the source you purchased it from or describe where you got the print head from and differences with the OEM print head that had malfunctioned.

One thing you can do is to print a nozzle check, scan, crop and post here. A picture is often better than describing it as one may or may not interpret it fully. Please do post one unless the printed page is completely blank.

Only buy a print head from a reputable source, preferable an authorized dealer. Print heads that originate from China may be marked as "new" but are too often refurbished and packaged in counterfeit bags and boxes and are high risk for failure.

You can check the purge system yourself. See link below. You can use water, isopropyl alcohol or window cleaner (eg Windex with Ammonium D). Please report your results.

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/urgent-help-canon-ip4920.7972/page-4#post-66333

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
My guess is that the non-OEM printhead is made by Canon but is used and probably defective. I would also like to see the link to the seller.

eyendall

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MX922
At this point, do NOT print anything other than nozzle checks until the issues are resolved or a senior forum member advises otherwise.

A Canon B200 error code typically means the print head has an irreparable electrical malfunction and the solution is a new print head.

That your replacement print head resulted the "same problem" could mean that the logic assay board has malfunctioned. The odds that two print heads with the exact same issues is not impossible but is unusual unless something else is involved. If this is the case then a new print head may not correct the issue.

I have not seen an non-OEM print head for a Canon. Please post a link to the source you purchased it from or describe where you got the print head from and differences with the OEM print head that had malfunctioned.

One thing you can do is to print a nozzle check, scan, crop and post here. A picture is often better than describing it as one may or may not interpret it fully. Please do post one unless the printed page is completely blank.

Only buy a print head from a reputable source, preferable an authorized dealer. Print heads that originate from China may be marked as "new" but are too often refurbished and packaged in counterfeit bags and boxes and are high risk for failure.

You can check the purge system yourself. See link below. You can use water, isopropyl alcohol or window cleaner (eg Windex with Ammonium D). Please report your results.

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/urgent-help-canon-ip4920.7972/page-4#post-66333
Many thanks for your response stratman. It helps me proceed with more confidence. The print head repalcement I bought from China was not branded Canon, nor was it presentred as refurbished, only as being "compatible" with the printer. I don't recall the actual seller but there are dozens of these listed today on ebay. I may have used the wrong term "non-OEM" since these Chinese manufactured units appear identical to the Canon units with their own packaging. I had assumed that they were simply knock-off products using the same designs perhaps even manufactured by Canon's own supplier and sold as "no-name" products. Clearly caveat emptor.
By the way, I never got the B200 error with the replacent head so most likely the replacement head was defective.

I don't have the unit with me now, it is at the repair shop awaiting my instructions. When I get it back I will do as you suggest and upload the nozzle scan. I am going now to check-out the message you suggested dealing with the purge unit.
Cheers

eyendall

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MX922
My thanks to Stratman and PeterBJ who responded and also to those who took the trouble to read my post. I bought a new genuine Canon printhead from an ebay seller in Singapore. Very satisfied with price, communications and free shipping by FedEx and can recommend the seller to anyone interested. While waiting for it to arrive, I gave my problem printhead thorough and repeated cleanings, reinstalled and ran several nozzle scan tests each one showing worse than the previous. I had to conclude that the printhead was kaput. A quick install of the new printhead and all is well.

Charles218

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I would be interested in knowing the seller from Singapore, I am having similar issues with my MX922.

eyendall

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MX922
Hi Charles218. As I mentioned, my experience with this seller was very poisitive. I do not have an email address for him only his ebay ID atthitta.sg which you should be able to use to contact him through ebay. I could only message his through the ebay messaging system. I paid US$105 total for fedex shipment to Canada. Good luck.

maximilian59

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1000, Pro-100s, Xp-7100
You ever checked Canon service? Here in Germany they do a replacement of the printhead for about 80€.