Need help with MX870 print quality

fdm2000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have an MX870 multifunction printer that is less than a year old and am having some recent problems with the print quality and head alignment. I began the alignment process after some web pages that I printed had very light, distorted black text. I tried several nozzle checks and cleanings and also several deep cleanings and the problem persisted. I then opted for the manual print head alignment procedure and find that many of the color bars are either nonadjustable or unavailable.

For example:

On the first print head alignment printout sheet here is what I see:

Column A,C,D,E are adjustable - column B only shows a very light bar at +5 and nothing else
Columns F and G are all equally dense black

On the second printout sheet:

Columns H,I,J,K and L only have lined bars at +5 and very light lined bars at +4 and barely discernable bars
at +3 - there are no bars below +3

Columns M,N,O,P, are all exactly the same from+5 to -5 ( all barred and no solids) while Q showns no bars

On the third printout sheet:

Columns a,b,c,d,e, shown no bars
Columns f,g,h,i are adjustable but j has not bars

There appears to be two problems 1. poor print quality with black text and 2. print head alignment problems; perhaps they are being caused by the same issue(s) What is causing this problem and is there a fix?

TIA,

Frank

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
fdm2000 said:
I have an MX870 multifunction printer that is less than a year old and am having some recent problems with the print quality and head alignment. I began the alignment process after some web pages that I printed had very light, distorted black text. I tried several nozzle checks and cleanings and also several deep cleanings and the problem persisted. I then opted for the manual print head alignment procedure and find that many of the color bars are either nonadjustable or unavailable.

For example:

On the first print head alignment printout sheet here is what I see:

Column A,C,D,E are adjustable - column B only shows a very light bar at +5 and nothing else
Columns F and G are all equally dense black

On the second printout sheet:

Columns H,I,J,K and L only have lined bars at +5 and very light lined bars at +4 and barely discernable bars
at +3 - there are no bars below +3

Columns M,N,O,P, are all exactly the same from+5 to -5 ( all barred and no solids) while Q showns no bars

On the third printout sheet:

Columns a,b,c,d,e, shown no bars
Columns f,g,h,i are adjustable but j has not bars

There appears to be two problems 1. poor print quality with black text and 2. print head alignment problems; perhaps they are being caused by the same issue(s) What is causing this problem and is there a fix?

TIA,

Frank
Hi Frank
When youre having problems with poor quality print doing head alignments will have no affect or change it in any way.
Are you using OEM cartridges and are you refilling and if yes what method and inks are you using.

When youre having problems with ink flow youd be better off not printing anything other than
nozzle checks till you can get the root cause of your troubles.

So can you print out a nozzle check and up load it so we can see exactly what your problems are.

fdm2000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Hat,

I use Canon cartridges and refill/reset them. Lately I have used Atlas inks and lately I have been using HobbieColors for the MX 870 cartridge refills. I have used the German method whenever possible but on occasion I resort to the top fill method when I am unable to access the ink tank with the German method.

I have tried different ways to include an image of the Nozzle Check but so far have been unsuccessful.

Incidentally I've noticed that when I print simple text the letters appear correctly, but when I print a web page the text is faint and distorted.

Frank

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Frank
While I am not great on the AIO printers they should perform just like any other Canon printer.
Your nozzle check hasnt got any great problems that cant be sorted out later and
there are a couple of things that I could suggest to you to do.

The thing you could try first is to disconnect the printer from your computer fully and unplug it from the wall
then turn off your computer if your connect to the printer by wi fi and
leave it for five minutes then try power up everything and do a print again.

Another is that your printer is still under warrantee so you could contact Canon Service and see what they have to say.
The data strip that connects to your print head may also have some dust or ink on it
so you could try cleaning it with a damp cloth and then a dry one and see if that helps..:)

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
fdm2000, could you post a scan of a problematic printout ?

Also, did you try to remove and re-seat the printhead ? (that doesn't affect the warranty).

fdm2000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Reply to Hat and panos,

Again many thanks for your assistance. I did contact Canon and their remedy was to do three deep cleans then a nozzle check then shut down printer for 24 hours and then do another deep clean. That seemed to materially improve the print quality. I will however try the print head removal and reseat as well as the USB cable and power disconnect.

Not sure exactly what the data strip is and where I find it? Is the area behind the print head copper contacts?

Frank

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
fdm2000 said:
Reply to Hat and panos,

Again many thanks for your assistance. I did contact Canon and their remedy was to do three deep cleans then a nozzle check then shut down printer for 24 hours and then do another deep clean. That seemed to materially improve the print quality. I will however try the print head removal and reseat as well as the USB cable and power disconnect.

Not sure exactly what the data strip is and where I find it? Is the area behind the print head copper contacts?

Frank
The data strip is the white flat strap that is in between two other protective straps thats attached to the rear side of your print head.. :)

5128_data_2.png

Latest posts