Need help with MB5120

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@Bird333 - until the product "Ajax Kitchen" is verified as appropriate do not use it.

Flageborg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3000

Attachments

• ajax_kitchen.JPG
    ajax_kitchen.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 151

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Try cleaning printhead with "Ajax Kitchen" over night and then flush & dry...
I reckon that Ajax Kitchen cleaner would be too extreme for the inside of the print head and may cause more issues with clogging itself.. Let’s stick with what we know works..

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It might be that some of the non firing nozzles are electrically dead and no amount of cleaning will revive them but, in all likelihood, most of those nozzles are just clogged and can be recovered with patience and perseverance.

I gather that you use third party ink and not Canon ?.
Sometimes, stubborn clogged nozzles which won’t unclog with normal or out of the printer cleanings will clear progressively when you insert a fresh new OEM cartridge. As forum member @mikling once said, Canon ink seems to act as a solvent for dried residues from third party brands. I’ve seen this happen in my Pro-10, which is also a pigment printer.
Yes, a whole set of Canon OEM carts is expensive. Maybe you could buy only one, magenta for instance, and see if nozzle checks become better in that channel after a while. If not, then no need to buy more OEM carts. Either keep trying your current cleaning method, discard the printer or purchase a new printhead (which probably will cost you more than a secondhand MB5120 ).
No this printer was unused. And the ink is OEM Canon.

Last edited:

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I guess it's possible that the head is electrically damaged but each print check for black fills in more and more blocks so I wouldn't think it is electrical. It just seems weird that it is not totally unclogged as many times as I have cleaned this. It sounds like I just need to keep cleaning it.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The printhead seems unblocked but I'm still getting streaks when I print. Any other suggestions?
You may finished it off completely if you continue to clean it externally.. Leave it alone..
I reckon if your using OEM ink in the printer, then that nozzle check is good to go, try giving it a good workout will a test prints..

Flageborg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3000
I reckon that Ajax Kitchen cleaner would be too extreme for the inside of the print head and may cause more issues with clogging itself.. Let’s stick with what we know works..
I have used Ajax Kitchen to clean several printheads and printing is good to go again. Good to know.

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You may finished it off completely if you continue to clean it externally.. Leave it alone..
I reckon if your using OEM ink in the printer, then that nozzle check is good to go, try giving it a good workout will a test prints..
I'm not sure what you mean by the nozzle check is good to go. They are still not perfect and I'm still getting streaks on printed pages. Granted I've only tried to print one picture after a couple of different flushes. How many printed pages do you feel would get the nozzle check perfect?

Flageborg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3000
This is my nozzle check after cleaning with "Ajax Kitchen"

Attachments

• nozzle_check_210221_1024.jpg
    nozzle_check_210221_1024.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 156

stratman

Printer VIP