Need help with CANON MG3051 Green and Orange light flashing.

Pandemic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
CANON MG3051
Hi,
I cannot do anything with my CANON MG3051. No paper stuck and cartridges are full but the printer just won't do anything but flash its tiny green and orange lights. What should I do? Here is the video of it.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The flashing lights pattern means that the ink absorber is full and the printer has been locked. Normally this error can be reset with a suitable Canon software service tool, but sadly your printer cannot be reset, it is considered a disposable printer.

Here is a link to Canon error codes, Go to page two. The Google translation might or might not work, but seven alternating orange and green flashes means the ink absorber is full. Here is an ad from a seller of Canon service tools, Scroll down to "PRINTERS THAT CANNOT RESET" and notice MG30xx.

Sad to say but you need a new printer.

Last edited:

Pandemic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
CANON MG3051
The flashing lights pattern means that the ink absorber is full and the printer has been locked. Normally this error can be reset with a suitable Canon software service tool, but sadly your printer cannot be reset, it is considered a disposable printer.

Here is a link to Canon error codes, Go to page two. The Google translation might or might not work, but seven alternating orange and green flashes means the ink absorber is full. Here is an ad from a seller of Canon service tools, Scroll down to "PRINTERS THAT CANNOT RESET" and notice MG30xx.

Sad to say but you need a new printer.
Are you certain sir? There must be a way.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Here is an ad from a seller of Canon service tools, Scroll down to "PRINTERS THAT CANNOT RESET" and notice MG30xx.
Confusingly, the ad also claims the OP's MG3051 is compatible.

Screenshot_2021-06-02 RESET CANON ST v5204✅ Canon Service tool 5204🔥Unlimited key for 1Pc Emai...png

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
In this case I think that the MG3051 is compatible with the service tool means that you can get EEPROM info to verify if the printer is still in warranty, but you cannot reset the absorber counter. See this thread.

Edit: 5$ is less than the price of a new printer, so maybe it is worth trying the service tool? If you try the service tool please report your results whether positive or negative.

Last edited:

Pandemic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
CANON MG3051
In this case I think that the MG3051 is compatible with the service tool means that you can get EEPROM info to verify if the printer is still in warranty, but you cannot reset the absorber counter. See this thread.

Edit: 5$ is less than the price of a new printer, so maybe it is worth trying the service tool? If you try the service tool please report your results whether positive or negative.
Also one thing to point out that I have tried everything I found on the internet to get the printer into service mode and none of them worked, so do you still think that I should buy it and try it sir?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Before purchasing, I would ask the seller if your specific printer model works with his Service Tool and if all the functions of the Service Tool will be available or not.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think that claiming that the service tool is compatible with the MG3051 is true as it can most likely get the printer's usage history (EEPROM info) and an extended test print that has more info than the nozzle check from user mode. This is useful when doing warranty service on the printer.

I also think that the MG3051 is a disposable printer is true and you cannot reset the absorber counter. This is what @soysauce reported in this post with a TS202.

Also the experiments with entering service mode might have blocked access to service mode, so maybe the best advice will be to keep your 5$.

If you are willing to gamble the 5$ even if I think the chances of a successful reset are slim, then I think the standard "5 presses of the Resume/Cancel button" procedure will access service mode, if access has not been blocked by experiments. This procedure is from a Canon service manual:

(1) Service mode operation procedures
Use the Service Tool on the connected computer.
1) Start the machine in the service mode.
i. With the machine power turned off, while pressing the Stop button, press and hold the ON
button. (DO NOT release the buttons.)
ii. When the Power LED lights in green, while holding the ON button, release the Stop button.
(DO NOT release the ON button.)
iii. While holding the ON button, press and release the Stop button 5 times*1, and release the ON button.
(Each time the Stop button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm
in orange and Power in green.)
iv. When the Power LED lights in green, the machine is ready for the service mode operation
(nothing is displayed on the LCD).
2) Start the Service Tool on the connected computer.
i. When a button is clicked in the Service Tool dialog box, that function is performed. During
operation of the selected function, all the Service Tool buttons are dimmed and inactive.
ii. When the operation is completed, "A function was finished." is displayed, and another
function can be selected.
iii. If a non-supported function is selected, "Error!" is displayed. Click OK in the error message
dialog box to exit the error.

One non-supported function in paragraph iii could very well be the ink absorber counter reset.

Last edited: