Need help please...

KleyMEN

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
A few days ago, my parents bought an Epson printer - Stylus DX7000F - from the net. After a five day usage, during which we printed 8 photos on 13x18 paper and 3 coloured document pages, the ink cartridges ran dry. I was stunned when I've learned that this printer had a very high cartridge consumption, even though I've told my parents that the vending price is not imprtant and that we should consider the ink consumption also - no one listened to me :(.

Now we've decided to sell this printer and buy something more economic and I'm asking for your help. Can anyone recommend me a printer with a good cartridge consumption and print quality which costs around 200$?

Thank you

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
KleyMEN said:
A few days ago, my parents bought an Epson printer - Stylus DX7000F - from the net. After a five day usage, during which we printed 8 photos on 13x18 paper and 3 coloured document pages, the ink cartridges ran dry. I was stunned when I've learned that this printer had a very high cartridge consumption, even though I've told my parents that the vending price is not imprtant and that we should consider the ink consumption also - no one listened to me :(.

Now we've decided to sell this printer and buy something more economic and I'm asking for your help. Can anyone recommend me a printer with a good cartridge consumption and print quality which costs around 200$?

Thank you
try pixma 6700D at that price range it will be optimal with very good print quality and economy.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Depends on how extremely critical you are about your color prints. I use a six color printer (canon i960) that produces beautiful prints. My wife uses an ip5000 that uses four dye-based inks and a black pigment based ink for text printing. I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a photo print made on one printer or the other from the same file.

I mention this because the ip6700 is a six color photo printer and there are four color printers (plus the black pigment based ink for text printing on plain paper) that have excellent reviews for photo printing. The ip4300, and the more current ip4500 are such printers. They are probably equivalent in print quality to the ip5000.

The concern of the original poster was the cost of printing. The six color printers use lots of the photo cyan and photo magenta inks (low dye load inks) whereas the five cart printers use cyan and magenta and space the dots a bit further apart to get lighter colors. Much less costly to run than the six color printers, and, from what I've read, very good photo prints. Since I refill my carts I have no problem with frequent photo cyan and photo magenta cart changes, but I'd hate to be paying the price if I were using OEM inks in the newest Canon printers.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
fotofreek said:
Depends on how extremely critical you are about your color prints. I use a six color printer (canon i960) that produces beautiful prints. My wife uses an ip5000 that uses four dye-based inks and a black pigment based ink for text printing. I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a photo print made on one printer or the other from the same file.

I mention this because the ip6700 is a six color photo printer and there are four color printers (plus the black pigment based ink for text printing on plain paper) that have excellent reviews for photo printing. The ip4300, and the more current ip4500 are such printers. They are probably equivalent in print quality to the ip5000.

The concern of the original poster was the cost of printing. The six color printers use lots of the photo cyan and photo magenta inks (low dye load inks) whereas the five cart printers use cyan and magenta and space the dots a bit further apart to get lighter colors. Much less costly to run than the six color printers, and, from what I've read, very good photo prints. Since I refill my carts I have no problem with frequent photo cyan and photo magenta cart changes, but I'd hate to be paying the price if I were using OEM inks in the newest Canon printers.
Yes 4 Color printer CMY an Black ink will print more cheap than 6 color. If you do not refill than go for 4 color printer. But printers like ip45001 with pl Micro-Nozzles that use pigment ink tend to clog more than dye only printers.

For text pigment is better and solves some bleed problems but that's about it.

ip6700D can print 10000 pages and still work like new :) I just have one that I rescued from "photo lab" that official Canon support suggested to drop in the dumpster. Guess what, nozzle check is perfect, I cleaned the beast and changed the ink waste pads. Works like new.

KleyMEN

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies.

I've checked the net to find some info about ip6700d and in the Canon's website there was a page showing the page yield of their printers. I looked for ip6700D in the list and it seems like you can print 300 pages with a black ink which - if it's reliable - i think is a bad number :> (I'm not a professional printer user and I don't have too much information about printers so correct me if I'm wrong :) ) But the printer still looks good and it's WAY much better than Epson Stylus DX7000F. Also, the page yield of iP4500 seems to be better than iP6700D but since I ain't got any experiences on these printers so I'm relying on you to help me :/

keastman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
not sure if there is any truth to this but a sales person told me that some companies only use starter ink tanks in the new printers, so you'll have to buy new tanks in short order. Maybe Epson does.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
This is nonsense for Canon CLI-8 cartridges, because the tank is transparant and if they would put less ink as in the case with HP/Epson cartridges, where you cannot see how much ink is inside. If they would put less ink in, then you can see it immediately !

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Because the six color printers use a large amount of the PM anc PC low dye load inks you will find the printers with four dye based carts and a black pigment based cart cheaper to run. If you refill, the additional cost is minimal. The six color printers are rated as photo printers whereas the four dye plus one black pigment printers are considered general purpose printers. You would still get very good photo print results from the four dye based cart printers.

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
Before I recently switched to a Pixma MP-600 I had an HP that used 56 Black, 57 color and 58 photo carts. The 58 replaced the black cart and had photo magenta, photo cyan, and dye based black. The only difference I noticed between 4 and 6 color printing was slightly better skin tones, they were a little less red with the photo cart. The 4 color system on the MP 600 gives better photo quality than I was getting from the HP. Except for the chipped carts I'm very happy with the Canon. I just put a set of G&C carts in it and after a couple of cleaning cycles I can see very little difference in color rendition. I'm awaiting a refill kit from alotofthings.com and hopefully will have good results when I refill the oem carts.

KleyMEN

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
keastman said:
not sure if there is any truth to this but a sales person told me that some companies only use starter ink tanks in the new printers, so you'll have to buy new tanks in short order. Maybe Epson does.
The cartridges were empty when we bought the printer (We bought it on the net) so we refilled the cartridges and despite that the cartridges dried out very quickly.