Need advice on which catridges are easiest

BNDAZ

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I hope that im posting this is the right forum, because it is about ease of refilling that i ask here:
Ive used a canon mp530 , (refilling and resetting the chips) for years.

My mom( who is 1700 miles form me, so i cant refill carts for her is is need of a new AIO.
Print Scan Copy and id like to find a manufacturer recommendation( even a model) that will be realtively easy for her to refill the cartridges.
Ive a read a bit about the Epson aftermarket carts with ARC, can someone perhaps give me a primer on what direction i should be going?

Thanks

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
Moms are great in the kitchen, so maybe they like to fill cartridges as well.:thumbsup
Im satisfied with my Epson printer with refillable cartridges. Refilling is easy: remove the plug, inject ink and restore the plug. The ARC resets itself
I recommend Epson because there are spongeless refillable cartridges for it.

With Canon the OEM cartridges are refilled, which needs drilling. The sponge in the refillable carts for Canon are known for giving problems.

Some advise:
-dont go for the newest printer model, the newest cartridge chips may not have been cracked yet. And the newer the printer the smaller the cartridge content.
-before choosing a printer check the availability of refillable cartridges for that model. And check the content size of the cartridges.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Lucas28 said:
With Canon the OEM cartridges are refilled, which needs drilling. The sponge in the refillable carts for Canon are known for giving problems.

I reckon you got the bit about Canon cartridges the wrong way round, they dont necessarily need drilling,
not does the sponge give any problems, so maybe youre reference was meant to be about compatibles and not OEMs..:)

BNDAZ

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Lucas28 said:
Moms are great in the kitchen, so maybe they like to fill cartridges as well.:thumbsup
Im satisfied with my Epson printer with refillable cartridges. Refilling is easy: remove the plug, inject ink and restore the plug. The ARC resets itself
I recommend Epson because there are spongeless refillable cartridges for it.

Some advise:
-dont go for the newest printer model, the newest cartridge chips may not have been cracked yet. And the newer the printer the smaller the cartridge content.
-before choosing a printer check the availability of refillable cartridges for that model. And check the content size of the cartridges.
Ok, likely Epson will be the direction, do you have a recommendation on an Epson AIO? and perhaps a source for purchasing older models( amazon maybe?)
Is there a defacto "best" source for refillable cartridges and ink?
I know that my canon uses a dye based and a pigment based ink for black( two separate cartridges), id like t avoid that scenario as well.
That said, aside from refilling, is there a a "best" source form where prefilled replacement cartridges can be purchased.

canons may not need to be drilled so to speak, but with mine i had to use a little tool to dislodge a plastic ball that was blocking the fill tube( which was hidden under the label)

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
The Hat:
Refilling Canon OEM cartridges is less easy than filling empty cartridges with ARC chip. Most forum members here dont recommend refilling Canon non OEM cartridges and Canon refillable ARC cartridges.
So thats why I advise Epson for easy refilling.

BNDAZ:
The Epson Expression Home series use only 4 cartridges so there is less refilling than with 5 or more cartridges. The ink is the Claria 4 colour version, this is better for photo printing than Durabrite ink.
Your mom may like these small in one models.
The range: Epson Expression Home XP-102 to XP-400. In other regions the model numbers may differ.

These printers are often on special offer in local stores and on the net.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Lucas28 said:
The Hat:

BNDAZ:
The Epson Expression Home series use only 4 cartridges so there is less refilling than with 5 or more cartridges. The ink is the Claria 4 colour version, this is better for photo printing than Durabrite ink.
This is actually incorrect. The 4 color Expression differs from the 5 color and 6 color higher model series . The 4 color ones are much closer related to the Workforce line. You are well advised to check out the Expression 5 color series over the 4 color series if you desire good text printing as well as good CMYK photo printing. The 4 color Claria version starts with the XP-600 and up. The XP-400 - XP410 uses the durabrite pigment. The craziness of the Epson offering in the 4 color version now is shown clearly to the world. The 5 color models are distinctly a superior machine to own and use in overall tasks. Though the 4 color and 5 color version share the same Expression series, the designs are distinctly different and the cartridges are also different in how they work.

BNDAZ

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
A. the importance of photo printing is almost zero, she does not care to print photos other than on a rare rare occasion.
4 vs 5 cartridges is isnt going to make a huge difference, if she can fill 4 she can fill 5, i presume the fifth color is a photo black, so the only issue i would see is the fact that she would need to be able to remember and fill the blacks with the correct "type" of black.
looked at the XP-600, seems like a decent machine for her needs( i am going to presume that while photo printing isn't needed, it just and option that is widely available ).
It uses the Claria ink.
Can you point me to and example of replacement cartridges and ink for this model?
Is there a "best" place to buy them? (USA)

BNDAZ

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
so lets clarify, IF photo printing isnt a necessity...is have a 5(or6) cartridge machine necessary?
WOULD a 4 cartridge suffice ?
What would be model numbers of those to consider( AIO)

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
whats the target group or the field of application for the fotos?
I do print alot of photos with my P50 for business and friends