Need Advice On Refilling Cl541 And Similar Cartridges

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I've got a refill kit and have filled an empty cartridge - all OK

BUT... what if 2 colours were empty and the other was full
How would I know? If I tried to fill the full colour, I would overfill most likely?

ALSO: If I got a used cartridge that was completely dried up, how could I purge and completely empty?
I've seen on the of stickies about purging CL521's using a paper towel - would I do similar?

Thanks

Omar

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The links in this post will answer some of your questions: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/new-canon-pixma-mg2470-refill.8261/#post-64210

To avoid overflow, inject the ink slowly and stop when the ink threatens to overflow, then extract 1 ml of ink from the top of the sponge.

These combined print head and sponge cartridges are very different from the single ink tanks, so ghwellsjr's paper towel method cannot be used for these cartridges.

If the sponges are dried up you can remove the top and remove the sponge(s) and wash it/them. If the print head is clogged, then the cartridge without top and sponge(s), can be treated like you would treat a clogged print head for the single ink tanks.

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
@Peter, thanks for the reply - really helpful
looking at that link now

dumb question: if i remove the top... can i put it back on :)
would i need to add some glue or something to put back on top?

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
How did you refill the cartridge? Drilled holes like this: http://www.stampantieplotter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Colori_Canon_CL541.jpg ? If yes, then you can make them a little bigger, say 4-5mm in diameter, and check the sponge with a flashlight as you refill (single led and zoom capabilities is the best). Always place the sticker back on the cartridge in the right position after refill.

Did the kit come with an adapter clip?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have revived the similar PG510 and CL511 cartridges by removing the tops using a knife and a small hammer. Be careful. Leather working gloves are recommended.

After I washed and dried the sponges, and unclogged the print head, I primed the print head by putting a few millimetres of ink into the cartridge and holding a piece of soft paper against the nozzles to remove water/window cleaner and replace it with ink.

I then put the sponges back in place and glued the top to the cartridge using 10 second glue. I then refilled the cartridge and put the label back in place, installed the cartridge in the printer and ran a few nozzle cleanings, and the cartridge was back in business.

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
@Tudor thanks for the reply
yes... i drilled holes like that

the kit i got didn't come with an adapter kit - i've seen others that came with a clip - what does it do?

the kit instructions said that i should worry about the holes - so i left open
(they do give some tape to cover the holes)
4-5mm sounds massive :)

@PeterBJ that's really useful info.
question: how long are we talking about from start to finish did it take u?

question: how do the professional refilling companies do it?

thanks

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
If you don't put the sticker back over the maze and holes the sponges will dry a lot faster and they will take in less and less ink.

Colori_Canon_CL541.jpg

4-5mm is not massive at all, as long as you cover the maze and holes with the sticker. The idea is to see the sponge while you refill. But don't make it larger than the indentation!

Regarding the clip, if you had it you wouldn't have to open the cartridge to flush it. The clip is used to suck a little ink from the printhead/cartridge after refill and before installing it in your printer.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The adapter clip is probably a priming tool intended to remove air from the nozzles and replace it with ink. I don't have a such tool for the Canon cartridges, that's why I used another approach to priming.

The process took me hours, most of the time spent unclogging the print head. I only did this as an experiment to learn more about these cartridges and find out what is possible. It may not be worth the effort. You decide. Also keep in mind that the print heads on these cartridges are not made to last, but with some luck they may last for 5 refills or more.

I don't know in detail how the professionals refill these cartridges, but a professional re-manufacturing involves more than a simple refill. Checking out some sites for professional refill equipment will give you an idea about what processes are used.

Edit: I see Tudor answered the question about the clip while I was typing.